Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

how much power am i realy losing from my 22"s

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 11:53 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how much power am i realy losing from my 22"s

i have a set of 22 inch razrs on my 400 and was wondering if i was realy losing that much power with them cuz if i am ill switch to 20 inchers

Old 07-22-2006, 12:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont think youll lose a whole lot. But if you notice the power loss, buy another performance
part should help it?

Old 07-22-2006, 01:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

Drag , check a number of factors : what are you planning on doing with the bike ? if its trails - accept the neglible Loss of power over the added height you gained .

What is your current gearing ? Our bikes down here have 14-39 , whereas I have noticed some bikes are 15-39or8 in the states , and this would probably be the more important thing to check up on . If its 15-38 and you dont have any mods on , you might be losing a bit more than I'd feel comfy with .

Generally speaking , for everyday riding , 22's are good . i am still on 20's , but I do a bit of both track and fooling around . ride the tyre that you feel good with , and don't listen too much to what you hear : go test the info you get yourself first , before you rush off and make changes .

If you riding around the trails :Id stick with the 22's . more info on the bike would be nice .

Old 07-22-2006, 02:42 PM
Range Rover

i agree with Definion, if u like your 22 s and it will kill your torque a little,but if u want to keep them and is robbing u of power just put a 1 tooth smaller on the front and u will be fine.

Old 07-22-2006, 10:43 PM
Pro Rider

ill do a lot of hairscrambles and XC and im getting into ice cross in the winter but i have a drag compition in 2 weeks and i dont wanna lose ill ahve the rejetting done and i alrdy have a yoshimura slip on and uni filter but my budy will be at the race and he keeps saying his Z400 will eat me and hes completely stock so i dont wanna even give him a chance and if the 22s r really takeing away from m power then ill switch em down to 20s

Old 07-24-2006, 09:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

point no. 1 : his ltz standard WILL eat you out of the blocks , so best you go back to 20's for the drags , leave the sprockets at 14 39 or 15 39 if you can . I have a pic of me getting chowed by an ltz - look no further to see my tail between my legs . .

When you pull away - the nose ias going to lift up terribly , if you are on tar at least . you'll have to figure a way to counter for that .

THEN- once you have that sorted - remember to change gears sooner than if you were in a car - thses bikes do not like making power high up in the rev range , so use the Massive torque at your disposal and whip the guy . they are slower than Ltz's , I dont care What they tell you , its slower . so the bike is not meant to be used for drag racing , but with a nip and tuck here and there - pipe , jets , you should be sorted .

The difference lies in its handling , and there it does rather well ( If im not mistaken the Trx is the biggest selling sport quad in the states ? )

22's are actually ideal- yesterday on the enduro trail , I got stuck Badly twice , got off the bike into 3 feet of mud . It landed on the bely pan , but I would have felt better if it had 22's on . The only trade-off , is that it does tend to go a bit slower .

Hope this helps .
oh - try 14-39 gearing against the ltz - they have a 41 rear , but rev higher , so you might be able to smack him with 14-39 and 22's . make sure you have a pipe on to counter for the loss in power by running the 22's .

Old 07-24-2006, 11:59 AM
Range Rover

my Z has 40 in the back it is a 06,must depend on model

Old 07-24-2006, 12:15 PM
Pro Rider

so there is no way i can beat him even with the jets filter and pipe cuz i mean i thought i shoulda been able to since hes running completely stock

Old 07-24-2006, 03:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

No , if you ride correctly , and Pipe the bike , then run Lid off and 170 main at the coast , with std gearing and 22's , you should be able to nail him . it will be close.

One thing I notice all the time on the us sites , is for the younger guys to want to beat each other's bike each time on a straight drag .Pages and pages of useless dialect on who should beat what and where .Get the thing on a track and see who's who , thats what I say .
while i share their quest for absolute speed - , and the need to wipe everything else off the planet , it's not the primary reason for a quad being quick .

Take yesterday for example - we had a honda day . all the guys pitched up on the usual bunch of 450's . By 4 pm I was lying third , behind one two-wheeler , and 1 450 ' 06 model . Dont say that out of 32 riders they were all a bunch of idiots . I simply rode better on the day .I knew the track , and i committed myself to showing some of the other guys up a bit.Such a nice kick ...! It just shows you that with enough skill , doesnt matter what the guy is riding in front of you , on a track , if you want to go round him , you 'll go round him . On a straight drag I cannot remember how many tail pipes I counted yesterday ...

The honda is a slower bike , but like i've shown you above - it depends where you riding . I was also disappointed when i first saw how strong the arctic cat pulled over my bike - in my country they are same price as the honda , yet the tech. is better on the bike . But if i had to choose again - after whipping the guys yesterday over a 4 lap x32km track , it'd be hard for me to choose nything except what i've got . As far as prepping up a motor - an ltz will reveal more Horsepower than the trx will , which is why a 426 , or 440 kit is so popular in america for the trx's .

Pipe it , jet it , and play with the gearing at the back .Remove the lid , and go test the bike before you take your buddy on . 'sfunny how my buddy Craig hits me on a straight on his cat, but when we go into the network of forest tracks ,i send him a postcard . If winning is your sole objective for owning a quad - go buy a z-sled , Kfx , Or a cat . They are all , after-all , the same bike . you must remember that - Suzuki is the only one who can lay claim to having a better 400 than the Trx . all the other manuf. have borrowed the engine from the 'z , which , in my opinion Honda could have done the same and jumped onto the same wagon as the other 2 . how boring . ..

Let me know what happened . It wil be so close, Drag, i may be wrong , but I doubt it . You have the most modifiable bike on the market , and as a fun quad , once the pipe jets and filter are done ( What honda were up to when they silenced this bike with that standard muffler I do not know ) , you will see that the bike has its own unique strongpoints . Yesterday was the first time one of the competitors came up to me and said he couldnt believe that a 400 could stick with him on the enduro track . i felt chuffed , because the trend in my town is to go for the throat - buy a trx 450 , or now , the more common Ltr .

Yes , yes , one day when im all grown up . . . .

Old 07-24-2006, 03:18 PM
Pro Rider

my buddy decided were draging next tuesday so if any1 wants to know the outcome of the race just drop me a PM and ill let u know what happened but we also decided were gonna race on the track we have as well as the drag strip so if he beats me on the drag ill tear him a new one on the track

Quick Reply: how much power am i realy losing from my 22"s