Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Lawnmowers for atv

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2000, 03:35 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondering if anyone has one of those lawn mowers cycle county is advertising.
I'm thinking about buying one. I don't know if it is only for rough terrian or can you use it on your lawn.
Thanks, Joe
2001 Foreman ES

Old 11-30-2000, 04:00 AM
Pro Rider

I helped my buddy put one on his 450 Honda. He bought the front mount style. The mower deck is powered by a 11 HP Briggs motor. It has plenty of power to cut heavy grass at a speed of about 5-8 mph. He uses it at his cabin to do the yard. The biggest drawback I see is the damage the rear tires of the quad do when he turns. He has Bear claws on it and they chew it up quite a bit. On a large area with little turning involved it would make quick work out of the job!

Old 11-30-2000, 10:05 AM
Pro Rider

Greetings,

I looked at Cycle Country and a few others before buying an industrial strength flail mower. It works great but I had a real project in setting it up. I'll skip all the ugly details because I've said it all before and you shouldn't have the same troubles with a mower specifically built for ATVs.

But, and a big but, I can't stress enough to check the hitch before buying. Be sure it really fits and works with your quad's setup. Check the size of the ball or hitch pin and look at the angle of the tongue or shaft. I went through months of tiral and error before I was happy with mine. These things don't snap together like a Tonka toy and small variations can cause real problems in the field. Things can shake loose or things can bind on a hill or turn.

Also, just be aware that -- unlike a tractor or riding mower -- an ATV does not have a constant speed throttle. You have to hold speed steady with your thumb -- again, not necessarily a big deal, but its something to think about if you have a lot of hills and slopes.

Overall, the 450ES handles the job without a problem. I can generally get the job done in 2nd gear running around 4-6 mph.

Old 12-01-2000, 07:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

oHH, Thats what this thread is about. I converted a 12HP Craftsman tractor mower
to an ATV. It no longer mows grass but is a lot more fun but I guess thats a different thread.

Currently Operable fun rides:
300EX
KX 80
200SX
PUCH Moped
71 SL 70 Motosport
Generic Minibike
Craftsman ATV (mower conversion)
Kawasaki 440 Intruder (Sled)
'50 Chevy Deluxe
'50 Ferguson TO20