Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

carb spring

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 08:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carb spring

how many coils should you clip off of a 05 rancher carb spring. and what if any potentiol problems could come from this.

Old 08-06-2006, 08:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default carb spring

Don't go with more than 11. Start with 6-8 and test. Future problems? It might flip you over backwards. This won't harm anything. It just allows the slide in the carb to open more rapidly improving throttle response. I've had it done for over a year and no problems.

Old 08-06-2006, 08:36 PM
Trailblazer
Default carb spring

the negative impact is that the spring may no longer fully close the slide in the carb, meaning the carb may get stuck open, I would not recommend doing this on a utility, but if you do, make sure you don't cut off too much, you can always cut off more, but you can't add it back. Oh, and the only thing this really does is make it easier to press the thumb throttle.

Old 08-06-2006, 10:26 PM
Pro Rider
Default carb spring

It does a lot more than that. If you cant wheelie now, you will after doing this. Like Rinman said, it improves throttle response, it does not add power. You hit the throttle and it will take off.
And if you do have a problem, just get another spring from Honda. Just a few bucks.

Old 08-06-2006, 10:37 PM
Pro Rider
Default carb spring

Why wouldn't you recommend doing this on a utility? They are heavy and need all the help they can get. This spring has nothing to do with the thumb throttle. It makes the spring softer so it doesn't take as much vacuum to open the slide. Its just a free way to do the same thing as a dynojet spring does. This is just a very simple mod that alot of people are just finding out about. It does work and its free. I know at least 8 people that have this done and no problems. If you don't like it a new spring is only a couple of bucks from Honda.

Old 08-06-2006, 10:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default carb spring

Foreman Dan. how many coils did you clip off of your rancher carb spring

Old 08-06-2006, 10:53 PM
Pro Rider
Default carb spring

i clipped 6 ithink and can tell a difference, on my rancher, dont get me wrong its still not a banshee but if your good you can ride a wheelie[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-07-2006, 04:29 PM
Trailblazer
Default carb spring

Can you do this on a Rubicon?

Old 08-07-2006, 09:44 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default carb spring

Bansheeboy

Do you even know how these carbs work? I dont think you do. They are not like the standard carb where the carb slide is hooked to the cable. It is vacuum actuated. The carb is controlled by a diaphram. The diaphram is hooked to the slide and the spring is between slide and the diaphram. By cutting the spring it makes the diaphram react quicker. It will open further and with more response with less vacuum thus giving quicker and more power right off idle. On a standard carb like on your banshee it will only make it easier to press the throttle but is WAYYY different then the carbs in the Honda's. No negative impact by doing this mod to the Honda's.

Old 08-07-2006, 11:26 PM
Pro Rider
Default carb spring

Yeah, What he said.

Quick Reply: carb spring