Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

2004 Honda Rancher ES Stuck in Gear

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 03:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Honda Rancher ES Stuck in Gear

I got the dang red honda rancher es that wont start because it is stuck in gear ... this thing has been getting stuck in gear since i bought it ... i rocked it for a while and decided to fix the clutch, all better ... then the cellonoid was messed up, fixed it ... then it broke stuck in gear for good, i hit this actuator thingy (shift'n motor thing) with my fist everytime it got stuck and it worked for anouther 4000 miles .... now it is stuck stuck .... i tried to manully shift it, stuck .... it is blinking in first gear and i got to chase around 500 head of cattle on foot ... I AM TIRED ... HELP Is it the actuator thingy, a linkage, shift plate .... i give up ... i hope the trany aint done for ..... .thanks for all the help .... FARMERMIKE

Old 08-10-2006, 04:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok .. i just learned of this blinking gear number ... it blinks 3 times over and over again ... plz hlep

Old 08-10-2006, 05:00 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry farmer mike but if you have been reading the posts you would know that only the red ones are having that problem.... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

just kidding! sorry to hear about that....I hope someone can help a honda guy out... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-11-2006, 10:25 AM
Pro Rider

3 blinks is the angle sensor circuit. the angle sensor is a little black sensor down by the shift motor under a tin shield. It's the most common part to fail so if you wanted to throw a part at it it's around 50$.

Old 08-11-2006, 06:23 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I have the Rancher AT so my codes are different than yours but they all have the same piece of chit Hondamatic Transmission. Angle sensor is a good place to start, it is easy to test and only about 40 -80 smackers if that is the problem. Inside the Transmission control motor (shift Motor) there is a worm screw that runs 22 turns out and 22 turns in. When it hits the end it locks up and causes bad chit to happen. If your angle sensor checks out and your shift motor checks out you can take off the shift motor and run the worm screw back to dead center. slap it all back together and perform the initial setting procedures without step 3 (pulling it 5 ft forward). I am not sure if this will help you it being a different machine but I am 600$ into my tranny now and after 3 months in my garage 4 weeks in the shop a control motor and a angle sensor I called the engineers at Honda and that's what they had me do. It seems to be working fine so far.

Old 08-11-2006, 06:27 PM
Elite Pro Rider

It makes me wonder what the manual is for if they are not going to put that info in there. Honda said "if we put everything in the book we would all be out of jobs" [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 08-11-2006, 09:11 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: quicksilver
3 blinks is the angle sensor circuit. the angle sensor is a little black sensor down by the shift motor under a tin shield. It's the most common part to fail so if you wanted to throw a part at it it's around 50$.
Any idea what a two-flash code is? Mine flashes twice every so often and won't shift, but I can turn it off and back on and it'll usually reset and work fine. Damn annoying on a month old machine! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 08-13-2006, 01:22 PM
Pro Rider

2 flashes is the shift switches. check the connections good, might have gotten water in switches too

Old 08-14-2006, 10:17 AM
Weekend Warrior

I am bustn the angle sensor out today ... well at least getting the directions and part. I got good news, John Deer. Second best way to chase a cow around, chevy truck, but my wife was a little angry. In all, the tractor works the best and i am not tired anymore .... Thanks all!

Old 08-14-2006, 10:20 AM
Weekend Warrior

I was wondering... When the worm nut locks up, would it lock up the whole tranny, because that is my biggest problem (I cant manually shift it)

Quick Reply: 2004 Honda Rancher ES Stuck in Gear