Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

2005 Rubicon in need of new tires.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 04:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Rubicon in need of new tires.

I have a 2005 Rubi and its about time to break down and buy some tires. I have pretty much narrowed my choices down to the ITP Mud Lites XL or GBC Gators. However I am open to suggestions. I have selected these tires due to my type of riding. I ride some moderatly steep hills that are often rutted out, mud holes that are about to my headlights, hardpack mountain riding and lots of creeks. I figure these tires are a good general tire. I originally wanted the Dirt Tamers or Big Horns but changed my mind after hearing the sucked in the mud. I can by either of these tires for approx. $260 including shipping. Another reason for my choices.

I am thinking about upsizing to a 26" tire, But how much power am I going to lose by upsizing to the 26? I sure don't want to get on a hill side and run short on power. Also will I be able to spin these tires failry easy with my stock Rubi? Here is the tire size I will be getting. 26x10x12 for the front and 26x12x12 for the rear. Let me know what you think. I am leaning more towards the gators due to there durabiliy. If you know of somewhere cheaper to order these from please let me know.

Old 08-21-2006, 05:42 PM
Trailblazer

I went to 26" Dirt Devils on my 04 Foreman and I've been happy with them . I've used them in snow, mud, and everything in between and they haven't let me down. They wear like iron as well. I didn't notice any power loss to the point that it was readily evident.

Old 08-21-2006, 07:28 PM
Pro Rider

gators all the way!!!!!these tires kick @ss

Old 08-21-2006, 09:31 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: fedfuzz
I have a 2005 Rubi and its about time to break down and buy some tires. I have pretty much narrowed my choices down to the ITP Mud Lites XL or GBC Gators. However I am open to suggestions. I have selected these tires due to my type of riding. I ride some moderatly steep hills that are often rutted out, mud holes that are about to my headlights, hardpack mountain riding and lots of creeks. I figure these tires are a good general tire. I originally wanted the Dirt Tamers or Big Horns but changed my mind after hearing the sucked in the mud. I can by either of these tires for approx. $260 including shipping. Another reason for my choices.

I am thinking about upsizing to a 26" tire, But how much power am I going to lose by upsizing to the 26? I sure don't want to get on a hill side and run short on power. Also will I be able to spin these tires failry easy with my stock Rubi? Here is the tire size I will be getting. 26x10x12 for the front and 26x12x12 for the rear. Let me know what you think. I am leaning more towards the gators due to there durabiliy. If you know of somewhere cheaper to order these from please let me know.

Mind if I suggest Super Grip Super Light tires? There is a guy on Ebay that sell a full set of 25x8x12 and 25x10x12 for $205 free shipping. I have run these before and love them. They will out last mud lites and have a rim guard too.
As for the larger size, you only gain 1/2" ground clearance and pick up about 2 or 3 lbs a tire. You'll get a little more traction, because of the width. But a Rubicon should have no trouble turning 26" tires.

Old 08-22-2006, 11:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have 27" mud lites on rubicon and they suck dont buy them!! They dont track up for anything I used to have kenda executioners they were great. I went to mudlite becuase they are lighter and I thought i would get more power I was wrong it is the same. My rubicon is all stock and I turn 27" with no problem it did loose top end speed but i dont mind because i cant go that fast down a trail anyways. I have been looking at the gators and that will probly be my next tires. I hope i wear the itps out quick.

Old 08-23-2006, 12:28 AM
Pro Rider

Can someone please explain to me the need to oversize the wheels?? Rubicons aren't that great of a mud ATV anyway. Does adding 27" tires really make that much difference? From the thread initiator's post, it looks like he will be riding in a variety of conditions. I'd like to know the actual percentage of his riding time that he spends in deep mud pits.

Generally speaking, though, why add a lot of unnessessary, unsprung, and power robbing weight to a machine? Sooner or later, there will be a price to pay for it.

Old 08-23-2006, 11:50 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Look at the Mud Lite XTR's the lugs are closer together than regular Mudlites making them a much better trail tire. smoother ride, longer wear, and you will still be able to sling some serious mud [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] You will experiance some power loss when you upsize your tires. Lots of people go really big for whatever thier reasons, but in my opinion i would stay within 1" of stock my rancher comes stock with 24" so I am going to buy 25"ers no real need for huge tires unless your specifically trying to get clearance for some reason.

Old 08-23-2006, 01:52 PM
Pro Rider

taller and wider tire, better floatation and slightly more GC

But radials (of the same size, tread, etc) have better floatation/ride/traction by its inherent flexibility, increased by airing down

I am sold on the radials, but I don't go out looking for mud holes or race the baja 500 (bias plies are ususally more puncture resistant due to construction). I'd check out the Mudlite radial for the stock rims, and use either 25" or 26".

I put 26" on and they're fine. I can't spin the tires as easily as before, but that's part of why I bought them. No problem spinning them in the mud in low the few times I was in the deep stuff. The weight difference is minor on the Wetlands and Mudlite radial. Haven't had a flat yet.

I have a friend that bought 26" ITP 589s and black alloys. The difference is very noticable. I'll bet he's put 30 miles on them in over a year. They grip like crazy, but ride and handle like a brick. You can feel them in the throttle too. He's interested in selling them (this post was not made to sell his tires, but I can put you in contact with him if you are interested (pics online)) As the 05 rides better, you may like them.

Old 08-23-2006, 05:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: JDQuadRider
Can someone please explain to me the need to oversize the wheels?? Rubicons aren't that great of a mud ATV anyway. Does adding 27" tires really make that much difference? From the thread initiator's post, it looks like he will be riding in a variety of conditions. I'd like to know the actual percentage of his riding time that he spends in deep mud pits.

Generally speaking, though, why add a lot of unnessessary, unsprung, and power robbing weight to a machine? Sooner or later, there will be a price to pay for it.
JDQuadRider, I have to wonder why you feel Rubicons arn't good in the mud. I have had my Rubi for about 14 months and have put it to the test numerous times in the mud. I have yet to be disappointed. Most people would agree that the Rubi's Hondamatic transmission is one of the strongest tranny on the market. This was my reason for purchasing the Rubi in the first place.

I see you also have a Grizzly. I could see where it would probably out perform the Rubi. I originally was going to purchase a Grizzly but changed my mind due to so many people having problems with them at the time. I did not want a belt drive system. I know to many people who own various makes with belt drives, and occasionally when they get in deep water or mud the belt will slip. I did not want to worry about that. Can't imagine anything much worse than coming out of a creek and starting up a steep hill and having a belt start slipping.

To answer your question. I ride mountain trails, hills, and old logging roads probably 60% of the time and the other 40% is spent riding through creeks and mud holes. I guess I need to clarify what I mean by mudding. I am not talking about mud bogging where the entire 4 wheeler is under water/mud. I try to make sure not to get in anything that will come up over my exhaust pipe. I do occasionally get in muddy water that comes up over my front fender at times, but this is rare and probably less than 10% of my riding. When I am in situations such as that I am normally just playing anyways and its nothing I couldn't get around if need be.

My reason for wanting a 26" tire is so that I will have just a little bit more ground clearance. If you will look most tires also have a larger lug size when you get into tire sizes 26" and above. Ofter 1/4 - 1/2" of deeper tread. Yet another reason I am choosing to upsize to that 26". Compare weights of a 25", 26" or even a 27" that is very little difference. Also the GBC Gator is one of the lighter so called mud tires out there. Really close in comparison to the weight of the mud lights. Anytime you switch to an after market tire you will have the extre weight. I don't believe anyone would purchase a replacement set of 2 ply tires. The 6 ply is were most of the extra weight comes in.

In regaurds to everyone else. Thanks for you imput so far. I have looked at most of the tires mentioned. I do like the Mud Light XTR. Looks like a really nice tire and I have heard good things about it, but its a quite abit higher than what I can by Gators for. I originally wanted Dirt Tamers or Big Horns, but have been told they suck in the mud.

Old 08-23-2006, 05:47 PM
Pro Rider

gators!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i swear you wont regret!!!!!!!!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: 2005 Rubicon in need of new tires.