Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

What Oil To Use

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 05:42 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Oil To Use

Was wondering whether anyone can tell me what oil to use. I have got a 400EX and the Honda shop has giving me 10W-40 (I think).
Can I use similar grade oil which is sold for cars. Eg. could I get a fully synthetic 10W-40 for a car and use it safely on my bike or do they have special additives specifically for motorbikes?

Old 08-24-2006, 07:08 AM
Pro Rider
Default What Oil To Use

Any motorcycle oil will work. I use Amsoil and havnt had a problem yet. Heres a link

https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/aff.aspx

Old 08-24-2006, 10:05 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What Oil To Use

Why you don't want to use car oil (even in your car!). Find a motorcycle specific oil that is API SG/JASO MA. http://www.thumperfaq.com/oil.htm

You can read my comments about oil weights, brands, etc., here: http://forums.atvconnection.com/mess...y&keyword1=oil

Oil is no place to try to save a buck! Pay a little more for a high quality synthetic. http://www.scooterhelp.com/genmainta...kcase.oil.html

Old 08-24-2006, 04:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default What Oil To Use

I also use the best, Amsoil.

Old 08-24-2006, 04:44 PM
Pro Rider
Default What Oil To Use

no, you CANNOT use car oil. You need to buy a 'motorcycle' type oil because your engine shares oil with the transmission, unlike car engines. Also, you have a 'wet clutch', meaning the clutch is submerged in oil, also unlike a car. The transmission gears and clutch shearing will break down even the most advanced car engine oil. Also, car engine oils have additives that change the friction quality of the oil, to pass EPA emission standards, and those additives will attack the clutch discs and cause exactly what the additives were designed to do- change the friction characteristics of the clutch, causing it to slip.

Find an oil that is JASO MA and API SG certified. I prefer the synthetics, they offer advanced high-temperature protection, especially for air-cooled engines. Conventional oils (even honda's GN4) will break down at higher temperatures.

I use Amsoil motorcycle oil 10w40. They also make the same oil in a 20w50 weight for high-year-round temps. I've had good luck with it.

Old 08-24-2006, 05:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default What Oil To Use

Yes, you CAN use "automotive" oil. "Motorcycle" oil is marketing BS. Do a google search on it.

Read you owner's manual for the oil recommended. I know the Honda Rubicon with its auto tranny call for a "non-energy saving" formula 10W-40 oil.

Old 08-24-2006, 10:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default What Oil To Use

My 99 400ex has had 10w40 "car" motor oil in it since it was new, and it still runs great with the original clutch. I changed it every 10 rides or so until I sold it too my brother, who still owns it and will only change the oil when I guilt him into it. But now I use Amsoil 10w40 motorcycle oil just to be on the safe side.

Old 08-24-2006, 11:51 PM
Trailblazer
Default What Oil To Use

I have used Amsoil in all my performance machines and i LOVE it, I have not found a better oil, espcially for the price.

Old 08-25-2006, 03:17 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What Oil To Use

For the first 3000 miles we put on our 01 Rubicon I used Valvoline All Climate 10w40 engine oil and for the last 4000 miles I have used Valvoline ATV oil, 10w40.

We only have 7000 miles and 800+ hours so I don't know the long term results. I change the oil and filter every 500 miles and seldom add oil between changes.

Old 08-25-2006, 10:13 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What Oil To Use

Honda's market is international. In some areas of the world, there just aren't any motorcycle oils available, so that is why the owner's manual is ambivalent about these. Certainly running a "car" oil is better than NO OIL AT ALL, but you aren't getting the best level of protection that you have available here in the states.

SG motorcycle oil is fortified with high pressure additives that no car oil can contain. This will give you extra protection for your gears and cam.........it's a pretty simple choice for any thinking person!