Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

mandatory Insurance in PA

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2000, 09:13 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I heard the other day,Friday I think, that Pennsylvania just passed legislation requiring all atv owners to have liability insurance if you ride your atv off your own property. Has anyone else heard about this?

Old 12-02-2000, 09:31 PM
Pro Rider

No I haven't heard of that. For now at least.

Old 12-02-2000, 09:57 PM
Pro Rider

I haven't heard anything about that yet either but personally i don't think it's that bad of a thing. Why? Because if everyone has insurance then the cops won't be as hard as they are on us when we are caught on the streets and many more property owners (including the state) will be willing to let us use their land because the liablity will be off them.
Also if everyone is required to have insurance then the state itself may be more likely to open some trails for us to use.
Besides that it's good to have full coverage (including medical) insurance so that when you flip that baby off a cliff you'll be covered...LOL
Mike

Old 12-02-2000, 10:13 PM
Pro Rider

Here's the update guys

Legislature OKs stricter ATV rules, registration

Harrisburg Patriot November 29, 2000

Bill also allows state to buy, lease trails on private land with cash raised from fees

BY ELLEN LYON-OF THE PATRIOT-NEWS

Language tucked into a comprehensive transportation bill approved by the Legislature last week provides for stricter all-terrain vehicle registration requirements and more aggressive enforcement against illegal riding.

If the 208-page bill is signed into law by Gov. Tom Ridge, who is still reviewing it, all ATVs and snowmobiles would have to be registered with the state, except those used solely for farming or business.

Under current law, only drivers riding their ATVs and snowmobiles on state trails must pay the $20 biannual registration fee.

What does it mean when the flag at the Post Office is flying at half mast? They're hiring.

The bill also would allow the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources to give organizations money from the state’s approximately $3.2 million ATV registration fund to buy or lease trails on private land.

Currently, that fund can only be used for maintenance and development of trails on state lands.

That provision is intended as a com promise between ATV

ATV/Transportation bill would require plates on vehicles

enthusiasts, who are demanding more trails for ATVs, and environmentalists who are complaining about erosion and other damage to the 188 miles of legal ATV trails and the estimated 2,500 miles of illegal trails in state forests.

Earlier this year Department of Conservation and Natural Resources Secretary John Oliver imposed a moratorium on new state ATV trails until the environmental damage could be repaired and enforcement increased.

The bill also aims to give local law enforcement agencies an incentive to improve enforcement of ATV and snowmobile laws by allowing them to keep the fines they collect. Currently, that money goes to the state.

It requires a registration license plate or decal to be displayed on ATVs and snowmobiles.

“The registration plate will allow people to report violations when they couldn’t do that before. Just the fact they’ll have a number you can read,” explained Sierra Club of Pennsylvania lobbyist Jeff Schmidt. Frederick C. Brown, a lobbyist for the Pennsylvania State Snowmobile Association and an adviser to the Pennsylvania Off-Highway Vehicle Association, said the bill “gives the department some tools to work with that they didn’t have before.

“It gives local law enforce-ment some incentive to be more aggressive.

Among its other ATV and snowmobile provisions are:

· A requirement that ATV owners buy liability insurance, which already applies to snowmobile owners.

· Doubling the fines for first-time offenses of the vehicle code. Those fines would range from $50 to $200. For subsequent offenses, the range would be $100 to 300, up from the current $50 to $200.

· Creation of an ATV Trail Advisory Committee at the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources. A snowmobile advisory committee already exists.

· A requirement that ATV and snowmobile riders get written permission to go on private land.

Old 12-02-2000, 11:13 PM
Pro Rider

ugh....maybe i should take that back.
I'm not putting any plates on my quad. Case Closed.
LOL
MIke

Old 12-03-2000, 09:52 AM
Pro Rider

thanks for posting that trx430ex.

Old 12-03-2000, 10:02 AM
Trailblazer

sounds to me like they definately want to take our money, but are not too sure they want to spend any of our money on new trails.

Old 12-04-2000, 04:00 PM
Pro Rider

Ya, if they are going to be collecting money from us it better go into the ATV community for new trails and such and not for a pay raise for the Politicians!!!

Old 12-05-2000, 02:23 AM
Trailblazer

So are they going to pass this? All I can say is that they better not or there will be a lot of complaints.