Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

depressed about honda....

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 03:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default depressed about honda....

I have a friend with a Bomb 800 which is a very nice machine I have to admit. I still prefer my Rincon for the ride and steering as does he. We have about equal riding experience and recently got them both on a mx track. He got me on the take off but by the 3rd turn I took him on the inside and he never caught up. Remember, the Rincon 650 won the Baja 1000 at the end of 2002. There is nothing watered down about the Rincon. They were both stock at the time. There are way too many people on here that love to talk bad about a Rincon because of what they hear or read, and have never ridden one. I wont give a negative opinion on any other quad that I have not owned or had some good seat time on.
As far as price, has anyone seen the new Grizzly? $8k. For what. What features make it so special? Power steering? A few hundred. Belt drives are easy and cheap to make. Thats why most manufacturers use them. A locker? I can put a Detroit Gearless on any Honda for about $300.

Old 09-16-2006, 10:33 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: MUDDY4LIFE
I think the fact that Honda keeps a hold on its 30% marketshare of the ATV units sold only indicates that most riders are not die-hard ehthusiasists like we are in here.

Now about 80% of all ATVs sold in the USA are of the Utility type. Very few [if any?] first time Honda Utility buyer that turns into more than just a casual ATV trail rider and became a REAL ATV enthusiasist,will return back to buy another Utility Honda ATV after riding with their buddies who own the OTHER brand of Utility ATVs with far more standard features and a lower MSRP.

My Rincon could do most of what the OTHER brand ATVs did,however,it was very appearant that it STRUGGLED in many incidences,while the OTHER brand 4x4s did everything with EASE! I knew thru many years of riding ATVs that I was taking a chance by going back to a Honda brand ATV in 2003,but I actually worked for a Honda dealership back in 2003 and thought I'd take a gamble.After buying the 2005 KQ, there was very LITTLE I missed about the Rincon, and I hold that same feeling today!
Bill, you have posted MANY times that Honda's market share has been on a downward spiral the last few years. You also claimed that Yamaha and Polaris were gaining on Honda. I just PROVED to you that you are wrong in your assumptions. Answer me these few questions and I'll leave you alone.

1. Do you admit that Honda has lost ZERO market share in the last 11 years?

2. Do you admit that Polaris has lost 4% market share in the last 11 years?

3. Do you admit that Yamaha has lost 5% market share in the last 11 years?

4. Do you admit that Honda sold 74,000 more ATV's than Polaris last year?

5. Do you admit that Honda sold 72,000 more ATV's than Yamaha last year?

Old 09-17-2006, 10:12 AM
Weekend Warrior

The only thing that I'll admit is that not many [if any?] real DIE HARD ATV utility operators that owned a Honda Utility ATV for awhile and get ready to buy again, will return back to buying a Honda Utility again. Market share dont mean a damn thing to me. I want an ATV that can do what my buddies ATVs can without going out and having to spend additional $ on front lockers, disk brakes, adjustable shocks, EFI,and a tranny that dont have a low range,but yet has the highest MSRP in its class.I have OWNED and OPERATED EVERY major brand Utility 3-4 wheeler there is on the market since 1983.I dont care about BRAND NAME!If it has what I think I want in a utility ATV--------I'll buy it,regardless of brand name!

I can say whatever I want about the Honda Rincon,I OWNED and OPERATED a brand new one for two years and its just MY opinion.The fact that FOREMANDAN whips a BRP 800 on a MX track means little to me either,because rider experience has ALOT to do with the outcome of ANY race.

The only point im trying to make is that HONDA 4x4 utility ATVs do not hold a CANDLE to the OTHER manufactures in terms of standard features that come on their's, and the ability to handle the serious mud/debree that a few of us DIE HARD operators will put our machine thru.

If you are not a DIE HARD operator, than perhaps Honda is the one for you. But even if you are a CASUAL trail rider, I cant see paying more $ for a Honda and getting less features.

Old 09-17-2006, 01:22 PM
Pro Rider

My reply was not directed at you. It is to all the others that come on this forum to give opinions about something they have no firsthand knowledge of. I have no doubt that you owned one and were not satisfied.
You are not the majority. You are one person. I know many Honda riders that only talk about getting another Honda. If you look around on some forums like Rincon Riders, you will see that 99% of them are very happy with their machines. You base your comments on your opinions even when someone shows you proof that you are wrong.

Old 09-17-2006, 03:23 PM
Range Rover

The only thing that I'll admit is that not many [if any?] real DIE HARD ATV utility operators that owned a Honda Utility ATV for awhile and get ready to buy again, will return back to buying a Honda Utility again. Market share dont mean a damn thing to me. I want an ATV that can do what my buddies ATVs can without going out and having to spend additional $ on front lockers, disk brakes, adjustable shocks, EFI,and a tranny that dont have a low range,but yet has the highest MSRP in its class.I have OWNED and OPERATED EVERY major brand Utility 3-4 wheeler there is on the market since 1983.I dont care about BRAND NAME!If it has what I think I want in a utility ATV--------I'll buy it,regardless of brand name!

I can say whatever I want about the Honda Rincon,I OWNED and OPERATED a brand new one for two years and its just MY opinion.The fact that FOREMANDAN whips a BRP 800 on a MX track means little to me either,because rider experience has ALOT to do with the outcome of ANY race.

The only point im trying to make is that HONDA 4x4 utility ATVs do not hold a CANDLE to the OTHER manufactures in terms of standard features that come on their's, and the ability to handle the serious mud/debree that a few of us DIE HARD operators will put our machine thru.

If you are not a DIE HARD operator, than perhaps Honda is the one for you. But even if you are a CASUAL trail rider, I cant see paying more $ for a Honda and getting less features.
Bill, I only ask that you admit you were wrong about Honda's "dwindling" market share. At least give me that much.

Old 09-17-2006, 04:47 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ForemanDan
My reply was not directed at you. It is to all the others that come on this forum to give opinions about something they have no firsthand knowledge of. I have no doubt that you owned one and were not satisfied.
You are not the majority. You are one person. I know many Honda riders that only talk about getting another Honda. If you look around on some forums like Rincon Riders, you will see that 99% of them are very happy with their machines. You base your comments on your opinions even when someone shows you proof that you are wrong.
I am happy with my Honda. I could have had a Rincon but I thought the Rubicon was the better quad overall because I liked its transmission way better.

Old 09-17-2006, 05:02 PM
Range Rover

I recently sold my Rincon as well. It was a nice machine that was very well built and easy on the eyes. I own several pieces of Honda power equipment and chose to go with them on the Atvs as well back in 04. I had King Quad 300 the old school model and felt it better suited my riding conditions and terrian up here than the Rincon did. Where I ride is really all very technical and steep. I sold the Rincon because I was afraid of simply getting hurt or killed on it after some innstances of it getting away from me.

The Rincon is very big machine for an Atv and its under geared for its own size. Climbing and decending I found it required too much throttle because of a very high geared limited 3 speed tranmission. To what I was used to on the KIng it was very concerning to me.

Bottom line I didn't feel safe riding it myself so I sold it after 2 years. Anyone else has their own opinions and different ridding conditions.

Old 09-17-2006, 07:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

I agree that most folks that ride ATVs are not into them like we are in these forums. Fact is, most folks that ride ATVs know very little about them except for what a commissioned salesperson wants them to hear for the sake of the sale.

I dont want anyone to take me the wrong way. Im not saying that I disliked my Rincon,but for the price,it just just did not have much of anything over my lower priced and more equipped 700cc King Quad and my buddies other brand 4x4 ATVs. Because of my job as a ATV safety Director here in Michigan,I OFTEN have folks request my opinion on ATVs,and I gotta tell you guys, when it comes to utility ATVs, Honda is close to the bottom on my buying list.

Old 09-17-2006, 10:19 PM
Pro Rider

I agree that most folks that ride ATVs are not into them like we are in these forums. Fact is, most folks that ride ATVs know very little about them except for what a commissioned salesperson wants them to hear for the sake of the sale.

I dont want anyone to take me the wrong way. Im not saying that I disliked my Rincon,but for the price,it just just did not have much of anything over my lower priced and more equipped 700cc King Quad and my buddies other brand 4x4 ATVs. Because of my job as a ATV safety Director here in Michigan,I OFTEN have folks request my opinion on ATVs,and I gotta tell you guys, when it comes to utility ATVs, Honda is close to the bottom on my buying list.
However, if you had to recommend a Honda ute, which model would it be?

Old 09-17-2006, 11:51 PM
Range Rover

I guess I am not sure what a DIE HARD operator is, I know I do not understand the special qualifications an individual has to posess to be interested in or be a part of this forum. I do know this.....my wife and I have put 2500 miles on our Rubicons since they were purchased 19 months ago. 100% of the miles have been off road miles. Snow, mud, dust, rain, you name it and we have gone through it. We ford creeks, no problem with brakes, we do not hunt for mud but where we go it is a natural occurrance during fall, winter and spring riding. My wife shopped for about a year before we chose two machines to purchase. We bought two Rubicons. Rincon riders told us "power is outstanding" but "downhill riding is terrible". We ride the mountains, not the race tracks and if we go up...............we also have to come back down. IRS riders told us "for mountain riding get the solid rear axle". It seems that not all the good things come in one package so we opted to pick what we thought was the best combination for the type of riding we choose to do. We did not choose based on one machine being better for power, or another because of transmission, or another based on ride or steering, we chose the machine that seemed to put it all together for mountain riding. We put together a matrix of what we were looking for. 500cc minimum, high/low in transmission, solid rear axle, good handling, good ride, load capacity, lighting for night riding, 4 wheel drive, low center of gravity. You will notice I did not say "BEST OF ALL". When we charted out the information the Rubicon was our choice as best COMBINATION machine for what we were after. We have not been disappointed in the least with the Rubicon...................Tass
Now..............If Rincon or Bombardier had the Rubicon transmission.......... .........HMMMMMMMMM

Quick Reply: depressed about honda....