Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

2000 Kodiak vs Rancher

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2000, 06:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even though the Rancher gives up 72cc of motor to the Kodiak both quads have a top speed of 50-51mph. Just something to think about. The Rancher beat the competion in the midsize class & the Kodiak won its competition in the 400 class.

Old 12-07-2000, 08:51 PM
Pro Rider

One word: recall

Old 12-07-2000, 09:36 PM
Pro Rider

I went riding with a 2001 Rancher and 2000 Kodiak this summer and we all went the same places no problem but it was a dry summer.The Kodiak is physically much larger which may explain the top speeds being the same.As for the Rancher being more reliable than the Kodiak, both modles have not been around more than two years if that ,how could anyone know which one is more reliable yet

Old 12-08-2000, 12:16 AM
Pro Rider

Quadfather: Two words, bad brakes. Oh, wait a minute, I guess i have more words. Broken frames, leaking water pumps, and might add Roll over friendly, and that was by Yamaha people in your forum. Maybe your company ought to have the sense to recall when they make mistakes. Or were you just informing us that Yamaha should've had a recall out on the Kodiak?

Also 5400 out the door on a New Kodiak in Anchorage is no joke (that was last year when i bought my Rancher). Like I said, they will give them away up here. Still good quads though, just like the Rancher better.

Old 12-08-2000, 09:27 AM
Range Rover

I don't want anyone to take this wrong, but my friends Rancher is a dog compared to my Kodiak. I am talking about all conditions, from drag race to mud to hill climbing. I am not saying the Rancher is a bad machine, but you are always in 4x4, consumes gas like a pig, and suspension is like a lumber wagon. I have had no problems with my Kodiak with about 700 hard driven miles.

Just remember, it is your choice and whatever it may be, it will be the right one. Take both of them for a ride and see which one you like better. Good luck!

Old 12-08-2000, 11:38 AM
Pro Rider

Whoever thinks the Kodiak is rollover prove needs to learn to ride. It's as stable or moreso than any quad I've ridden. It has a low center of gravity compared to most due to 45 degree tilted engine. Leaky water pumps were apparently a first run seal production problem as I've not had a problem or any one I know. The brakes do wear faster as I changed my rear pad after 700 mountainous/muddy miles. But that's the price you pay for BETTER braking power. I've never heard of frames cracking but any machine will break when pushed beyond its limits. I hope Honda now makes their quads able to start in any gear including reverse because if not, that is an inconvenience to say the least. I also hope they changed their reverse procedure with the button deal and stomping on the gear shift. Although reliable enough it's not fun when your knee deep in a mudhole. I've owned Honda atv's and would have another one for a 2nd bike, I just like Yamaha features but both are reliable.

2000 Kodiak 4x4 on command, beige
2000 warn winch
Escavators x4
alum rear skid and Koplin gun boot w/metal mount (gun season only).

1998 Ranger ext cab off road xlt, 98 explorer 4dr xlt.

Old 12-08-2000, 02:51 PM
Pro Rider

How could the quad with the lowest center of gravity be rollover friendly? Obviously you ran out of any defense and had to make things up. I would much rather have brakes that wore prematurely than have my quad re-called. I switched my pads to EBCs and have had them on for over a year, and they still look new.

Old 12-08-2000, 06:07 PM
Pro Rider

How am I making things up? Your only point is based on a Honda Recall. Who cares, atleast it isn't rear swing arm frame cracks. I like the Kodiak and it is nice, but lowest center of gravity? We are comparing the Rancher and Kodiak aren't we? You need to check that stat sheet. Why do you think the Rancher is a dry sump engine. Lower center of gravity. It overall height is lower. It ways less. Your the one making things up without looking at any #'s. Compared to the Rancher the Kodiak doesn't have the lowest center of Gravity. However it does have less ground clearance. But you would believe that would you:-)

Old 12-08-2000, 06:14 PM
Pro Rider

My point is based on having these two machines side by side. The Rancher falls short, period. It doesn't have near the handling of the Kodiak, doesn't have near the power, it's a full time 4X4, and the list goes on.

Old 12-10-2000, 12:32 PM
Range Rover

monk01 - If that Rancher is consuming gas like a pig it needs to be tuned up. My 4x4 ES consistently gives me 40 + mpg (Cdn). That is for trail driving only. Mudding, swamping, racing, etc obviously makes the numbers drop somewhat.

alaskaweasel - Just some advice big guy. Don't get into a debate with QuadFather. This guy has shown historically that all he wants to do is create controversy. If facts don't do it for him then he resorts to fabrication and/or exaggeration. If that doesn't do it he has been known to try to bait people with profanity. He is not worth your effort.

Temp

Quick Reply: 2000 Kodiak vs Rancher