Price?
Options?
Tranny?
Experiences?
Tell me what you think?

Old 12-05-2000, 03:14 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These were the two bikes I was looking at buying a year ago. It came down to this. The Rancher after riding the Kodiak doesn't lack in much power compared to the Kodiak. IT does lack in top speed however, but to me not much of a factor. The Engine mounting of the Rancher also was a key. Like in the way of not overpowering a powerplant which means lasting lots longer. Yamaha makes good quads, but is often the case the Kodiak is another product of Yamaha that has I believe not as a reliable future as the engine life, even with the it being water cooled. Another thing that turned me to the Rancher. Regardless of what anyone says, the front diff on the Rancher does work better than anything Yamaha has out. Last but not least value, I could get a winch and the Kodiak for 5400 out the door. They were practically giving them away up here. That told me two things which I had heard of reliability problems in the Water pump, Rear swing arm to Frame attachment breaking, break pad wear which was terrible and just didn't seam as sturdy as the Rancher. The Rancher hasn't disappointed either. It is not as fast, has no option for 2wheel drive, and doesn't quite have the suspension travel either, but it does weight less, more ground clearance, No belt to replace, matches or out performs the Kodiak off-road, and will be worth more in 5 to whatever years I want to trade it if I ever do. So in my case I chose the Rancher and paid 5700 for it with a winch, and aftermarket lift kit. Either one however is a great quad and if I could afford it, I wouldn't shy away from buying a Kodiak to tear around on. Good luck on your choice.

Old 12-05-2000, 12:29 PM
Pro Rider

How does a 339cc Rancher have the same power ar a 401cc Kodiak ? These bikes are both in a different class,infact the Kodiak is closer to a 433cc Foreman in comparison.

Old 12-05-2000, 02:54 PM
Pro Rider

I rode a Kodiak and Rancher side by side. The Kodiak is superior in every way. I owned a 99 Big Bear, full time 4X4, and vowed to never own a machine that you cannot switch from 2-4 wheel drive again.

Old 12-05-2000, 05:40 PM
Trailblazer

I agree with TheQuadfather......The 2wd/4wd option is a huge factor for me when purchasing ATV's. But that is MY OPINION!

All manufacturers TODAY make quality units...it is merely a matter of personal preference as to what things each person likes about a quad. I don't beleive that one manufacturer has better reliability than others...TODAY!
People who judge a manufacturer by the quads made 10 years ago have got to get with the times!! Sure that's relevant when you are buying something that IS 10 years old, but not brand new.

Things Change....People should too.

Old 12-06-2000, 06:13 PM
Pro Rider

Tim1: You need to learn to READ. I said it doesn't LACK in much power compared to the Kodiak. No where did I say they your the SAME. IF you want to know where and why the Rancher is comparable in power due to the smaller size engine is two things. Lighter, and Engine to drive shaft is direct. Gee I wonder why, and quadfather, it helps if your compare power when both in 4x4 not one in two wheel and the other in 4x4. I agree the Kodiak is surperior in power when in 2wheel drive. However that is not so much the case when in 4x4. And your theory of it being surperior in every way. Thats plain garbage. They are very comparable off road. Id take the Rancher anyday in the mud or anywhere else off road. I'd take the Kodiak for trail riding though.

Old 12-07-2000, 09:00 AM
Pro Rider

I also looked at the Yamaha's when I bought my new quad, the reason I like the Rancher a little better is:
1) Better gas mileage off road (in 4x4)
2) I am small so the Rancher just fit me better (Yamaha bars are a little wide and high, sseat was just "not right" for me.
3) Was a little concerned about the belt drive idea, I personally like the regular grears better (Always had dirt bikes so that maybe why)
4) In all honestly I just liked the look of the Honda better and the reliability of the 300's made me fairly confident the Honda would hold up over time a little better.
There is NOTHING wrong with the Yamaha's, heck I have had many a YZ's and LOVED them, but this time I just liked the Honda a little better. Oh for what it is worth they were really dealing on the Yamaha's, so DON'T pay MSRP!!!
Good luck with whatever you buy!!

Old 12-07-2000, 01:38 PM
Range Rover

All I have to say is "2000 Yamaha Kodiak ATV of the Year! Enough said!!!!

Old 12-07-2000, 05:52 PM
Pro Rider

A Kodiak 4X4 for $5400.00, only if it's used. That is a good price for a Big Bear. The Kodiak is fast for a utility and the on- command 4x4 and reliability so far are flawless in 900 hard miles. I would not own a bike that had ANY belt slippage even if only rarely. I've had zero slippage w/water up to seat. I would rather have the full auto or gears than es personally although some people swear by it. The Rancher looks like a nice bike although I've only ridden a 450es. The speed and EASY steering ,in and out 4x4, suit me better on the Kodiak.

Old 12-07-2000, 06:15 PM
Pro Rider

I speak with experience,the rancjer is much better off road machine, with a big difference in the swamps and snow.Long term durability the rancher by a long shot!

Quick Reply: 2000 Kodiak vs Rancher