Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

400ex for a first time quad?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2000, 11:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do you think about someone buying a 400ex for their first quad? I have also considered a Kawasaki Lakota for the sport suspension but automatic clutch. The problem is that I have never owned anything other than Honda. I have ridden atc 110's atc 185s's 125m's and 250sx. I even had a Honda cm400a street bike with an automatic clutch. I guess my biggest fear is getting used to a manual clutch since I have never dealt with one. How difficult do you think it would be for me to get used to the clutch? I do intend to a lot of trail riding and I am sure that I will be doing a lot of shifting.

I would prefer the 400ex due to my size and weight. 6'2 and somewhere around 240 pounds depending on holiday dinners.

Will be purchasing in early January so I need to hurry up and make my decision.

Thanks in advance
Mark in NC

Old 12-05-2000, 12:05 AM
Pro Rider

I think you'll be able to handle it. A clutch is something that will take a little practice, but once you get it down, its totally natural and easy. I pould prefer a clutch over an auto clutch any day!

Old 12-05-2000, 01:10 AM
Pro Rider

Tarheel,

The 400EX was my first true sport quad. Before I rode a Honda 300 2x4 utility, but was easily able to switch over to the 400EX. I have ridden several dirtbikes before, so I have had quite a bit of experience with a clutch. This probably play a big role in the easy switch. Anyway, I would say on average, a clutch becomes easy to new users to use after about a week (give or take a few days). For some, it's no problem, but others take a little more time. It soon becomes part of riding, and once you've mastered it, you will not want to ride anything without a clutch. When riding something with an auto-clutch, you will find yourself reaching for the clutch, only to realize it's not there. (Everyone knows what I'm talking about.) LOL

I have ridden a Lakota in the past as well, and think you would be more satisfied overall with the 400EX. Lakota's are decent sport machines, don't get me wrong. They are fun, and easy to ride, but nothing in comparison to the high-performance 400EX. I haven't ridden the redesigned Lakota's yet, so I really can't say much more about them. I would say that the Honda would be the better choice by far. The 400EX has more power and better power delivery, good suspension, great handling, and the Honda reliability record. I hope I've helped you in your decision.

Old 12-05-2000, 01:27 AM
Range Rover

Tarheel,

Go with the 400ex, I bought my wife one, and she loves it. She had never ridden a quad before I bought her it. I showed her how to use the clutch and away she went. I'm really glad I got her the 400, The electric start makes it easy for her and she loves the power.

Old 12-05-2000, 02:40 PM
Trailblazer

My 400EX is the first quad I rode... You will get use to the clutch... I remember when I first got mine I had the sales rep drive it into the trailer cause I was scared I would screw up the clutch operation and bog it until it died and feel real emparased...hehe

Old 12-05-2000, 05:02 PM
Pro Rider

Trick400EX,I did the exact same thing! My 400EX is my first ATV (other than a '79 Odessey I had in '80-'84) and I was nervous about making a fool of myself trying to load it, so I had the salesman do it. Growing up, I always wanted a dirt bike but when my oldest brother was killed in a motorcycle accident it put an end to my plans. My poor parents were grief striken and forbid that I own a motorcycle as long as they lived. Well, they both died in an car accident 10 yrs ago, so I don't have to worry about them freaking out anymore. I had forgotten about atvs until I saw the 400EX when it came out in'99. I knew I had to have one and figured I better act while I was still young enough to enjoy it. I didn't want to buy a "beginner quad" to learn on so I took the leap and went for the real thing. Well I'm glad I did. I was surprised at how very easy the 400EX was to drive for a novice. After a couple hours of riding, the clutch and shift action where like second nature. I'm fairly large (6'@210#)so the power of the 400EX never seemed too strong.

Old 12-05-2000, 06:23 PM
Trailblazer

Hey, Guys! I highly recommend a 400ex for an eager learner even if they are a beginner to the clutch and high performance sport quads. I started out on the Warrior and had never ridden ANYTHING and took to it quickly. I am 5'5" and around 120 lbs and ride VERY hard and love it all, the more extreme the better. I probably have to work quite a bit harder than the average 6'+, 200+lb guy but I can hold my own with the best and leave some of the rest. It is all about passion for the sport and desire to experience it to the max! And you do have to stay in shape to ride every weekend like it is your last ride Angelon400ex

Old 12-05-2000, 08:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks everyone for all of the great replys. I am pretty sure that I will go with the 400ex. Angel, I stumbled on your pics of your yellow 400ex and that is what got me wanting one instead of the Rancher that I was originally looking at. Where did you purchase yours at and what was the "out the door" price? Hope I am not being nosy! I have found a web page advertising a 2000 model for $4999.00 out the door. Ordinarily I would not even conseder buying online, but this place is just 10-15 miles from my mothers house in Burnsville MS! This seems to good to be true!? Any way, I will check them out when I go to visit for Christmas. Hopefully it is not just a gimmick to get you interested. Check out the link and let me know what you think.

http://www.yamahadiscountprices.com/hondaatvs.html

the link did not seem to be working at the time of posting but maybe it will later.

Mark in NC
(Greensboro)

Old 12-05-2000, 09:32 PM
Trailblazer

Hey, Mark, I got my 400 at the Honda shop in Spartanburg and out the door it was $5670 including everything. He waived fees and gave me a $300 discount. Then taxes were $270. A shop in Asheville wanted over $6000. The retail is $5699 not including taxes and fees. Don't let them convince you to pay fees. Fight for a bargain, especially for a 2000 model. The yellow ones first production year is 2001 but if you got a 2000 for a good price you could always change the plastic later which is what my best riding buddy is doing. It is not as much as you would think it would be.
Oh, and my dealer has a yellow 400 sitting in his shop right now. I did get a real good deal as we are fellow church members but he would probably beat some shop's deals. Kind of far for you though.

And when you get a 400ex you need to hook up with me and some of my friends and ride! I ride in Stokesdale with my best riding buddy and there are some great trails. I haven't been lately because of hunting season but will again soon. We are riding at Uwharrie this Saturday. We have a blast. And not having reverse is worth it to have my dream machine. If I can do it without reverse, you big guys can. I have had to do it myself but the guys are always willing to use their muscles to help me out when they are around! I look forward to hearing good news that you got one! Email anytime! Angelon400ex