Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Oil filter in backward..........

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 11:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil filter in backward..........

Originally posted by: zettler450r
not to be a jerk.... but what kind of idiot can make that mistake. I can tell you ... the kind of idiot who not only shouldnt be riding a 450r, but more importantly not changing thier own oil... If you know anything about anything you will see that there is a hole on one side of the filter where the oil flows through, then you will also see there are ports where the oil that has passed through the filter goes.... anyways pretty basic stuff maybe they should start on something more like a big wheel or a power wheels seems like thats abou tthier skill level...
I'm sorry, but that was funny. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Not calling anyone an idiot though! Thats definately something I would overlook!

Old 11-29-2006, 09:22 AM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by: zettler450r
not to be a jerk.... but what kind of idiot can make that mistake. I can tell you ... the kind of idiot who not only shouldnt be riding a 450r, but more importantly not changing thier own oil... If you know anything about anything you will see that there is a hole on one side of the filter where the oil flows through, then you will also see there are ports where the oil that has passed through the filter goes.... anyways pretty basic stuff maybe they should start on something more like a big wheel or a power wheels seems like thats abou tthier skill level...
I think you're a little out of line there bud, and think you need to chill. There are tons of people that are getting into this sport that don't have much mechanical knowledge. I'm sure there are things that you have participated in during your life and had know idea what you are doing, therefor you would be an idiot as well by your theory.

Old 11-29-2006, 09:42 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On Hondas, there is a nipple on the cover that seats to the gasget on the oil filter, and the spring goes behind and holds everything together. On the Z400, it is the opposite. The nipple is on the engine side so the gasget goes in, and the spring goes attached to the cover. Can't remember how Yamaha does it???? Anyway, you have to have your wits about you when going from brand to brand..........

Old 12-11-2006, 10:48 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just an update........we took a good look at a K&N filter this weekend, and it has a one way plastic flapper valve on the back side, that opens and lets oil flow if the filter is installed backward! You don't get any filtering, but at least you get oil pressure. Somebody had another brand as well, and it had the same thing. Nice going K&N!

Old 12-12-2006, 11:11 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perhaps it was that film from (because) of the dirty oil that saved him [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]