Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Oil filter in backward..........

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 10:07 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil filter in backward..........

There was this guy riding with us this weekend on a ~six month old 06 TRX450R. I had ridden with him before, and previously pointed out to him that when I looked at his sight glass (where you check the oil level), that his oil looked VERY dirty. I of course warned him that frequent oil changes are the best thing for a 450. His reply was that he WAS definitely keeping up on them, something like every couple of rides........

This weekend, again his oil was VERY dirty, so I suggested an oil change before we did any riding. The oil came out filthy black, and when he took out the oil filter I could see that he had installed it BACKWARD. After the drain, you could even still see a black film left on the inside of the sight glass. We did an oil and filter change, did a short ride to flush it, then came back and changed the oil and filter again. The new oil, did a nice job of cleaning the black film from inside the glass.

So, trying to diagnose how this happened, here is what I have figured out: Our hero went to the dealer, and was disgusted at the price of a stock oil filter. He says it was $10 each, but I don't remember ever paying anywhere close to that. So, he decided to go cheaper, and get K&N oil filters. Now, if you look at the stock filter, it has three different warnings on it that point out the correct direction to install it........but the K&N has no such warning. If you look at the owner's manual, the blowup picture could be clearer if they had colored the gasget in black, but still no excuse!

It is remarkable that his engine didn't grenade! We have had posts in here before, from several 400EX owners who had done the same thing, and their engines were toast. Apearently, there was still enough oil able to pass, that he didn't destroy his engine. Lucky guy!

Old 11-26-2006, 10:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnng!!

Old 11-27-2006, 12:16 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Those Emgo filters arent labeled for which side is out, and ive seen them installed backwards too.

Old 11-27-2006, 12:27 PM
Pro Rider

hee hee, that's funny right there, i dont care who you are...

Old 11-27-2006, 11:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, you definately saved him from an expensive lesson all to save a few bucks on that filter! Good Job[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-28-2006, 01:44 PM
Pro Rider

He owes you one I am going to change my oil today for the first time but I think I am going with the K&N so I will be careful and watch the way I take the old one out

Old 11-28-2006, 05:12 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run the K&N oil filters as well and noticed they weren't labeled like the stock ones. I was 99% sure which way it went in, but I checked the owner's manual just to be safe.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-28-2006, 05:54 PM
Pro Rider

Better safe than sorry!!

Old 11-28-2006, 06:02 PM
Trailblazer

my best buddy did the exact same thing and put in backward. his motor was burned up and had to get it completely rebuilt. i always make fun of him for that. and it was also a honda. except a Rancher

Old 11-28-2006, 11:32 PM
Range Rover

not to be a jerk.... but what kind of idiot can make that mistake. I can tell you ... the kind of idiot who not only shouldnt be riding a 450r, but more importantly not changing thier own oil... If you know anything about anything you will see that there is a hole on one side of the filter where the oil flows through, then you will also see there are ports where the oil that has passed through the filter goes.... anyways pretty basic stuff maybe they should start on something more like a big wheel or a power wheels seems like thats abou tthier skill level...

Quick Reply: Oil filter in backward..........