Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Which Engine Oil, Please?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 11:17 AM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Engine Oil, Please?

Originally posted by: reconranger
JASO MA, certifies it as being safe for a wet clutch.

API SG, insures you that you are getting high pressure additives that will protect your transmission gears, cam, and other high pressure surfaces.

The only oils that will have these ratings are motorcycle specific.

What's in Engine Restore?????
Thanks for that rating info, I will write it down...

Here is the Engine Restore website http://www.restoreusa.com/ Sorry my link thing isn't working. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 01-04-2007, 11:22 AM
Got Milk!

Looks like ATVconnection even has a write up on it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

https://atvconnection.com/Features/P...e-Restorer.cfm

And they say not to use if for ATV's [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] I will take it out this weekend. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 01-04-2007, 12:33 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This article does a good job of explaining the API SG/JASO MA thing: http://www.thumperfaq.com/oil.htm

Old 01-07-2007, 11:48 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use Valvoline ATV 4-stroke 10w40 oil. It is JASO MA SF/SG/SJ rated and is designed for wet clutches. I have used it for the last 4500 miles and used Valvoline 1040 AllClimate for the first 3000 miles. ATV runs excellent.

Old 01-08-2007, 11:41 AM
Got Milk!

That is the stuff I just put in the TRX this weekend! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-08-2007, 12:35 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just wondering how many of you who live in the frozen north, change your oil to a lighter weight for winter????

Here in the southwest I run 10W40 in winter (and 15W50 in the very hot summers). The Maxima Extra oil I run is actually spec'd right on the border between the viscosity of a 30 and 40 weight. It can be thought of as a very "light 40" or a very "heavy 30", which ever way one would like to look at it (I just think of it as 10W35). (Just for the record, the 20, 30, 40, 50, etc. weight system of grading oil viscosity is an archaic system left over from the old days of "straight weight" oils. It really doesn't mean much in the modern world of multi viscosity oils, but it is what folks are use to. We badly need to dump it and introduce a new system.........!)

While the winters here in the valleys are relatively mild, I look out my window at a 12,000' mountain so if I want snow and cold, I can be up in the mountains after just a short drive. So for me, it isn't worth changing to say a 5W30 oil just for a day ride in the mountains. I do however, carefully warm my engines up in cold weather.........

Old 01-08-2007, 05:53 PM
Got Milk!

In my cars I run a 5w 30 year round, and when I had another nicer ATV I ran 0w 40 year round.

Only time I really changed the oil for winter was with the old John Deere 317. In the summer she got straight 30, and in the winter it was 10.

Old 01-08-2007, 08:17 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I use 0-40 Amsoil. I actually use amsoil in everything and would reccomend it

Old 01-09-2007, 01:40 AM
Pro Rider

Sorry to say but I HATE amsoil, anything that I have worked on, torn engines apart and transmission it has left crap inside.

You all will go buy these expense oils, but not one will buy the factory TESTED oil. Sence when did all of you become enginers and or chemical expenerts. You all talk about how many miles you got on with what ever. That's just good maintince nothing else.

Old 01-09-2007, 01:42 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: cluby
Sorry to say but I HATE amsoil, anything that I have worked on, torn engines apart and transmission it has left crap inside.

You all will go buy these expense oils, but not one will buy the factory TESTED oil. Sence when did all of you become enginers and or chemical expenerts. You all talk about how many miles you got on with what ever. That's just good maintince nothing else.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Which Engine Oil, Please?