Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Jetting Honda 350 Rancher

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 11:54 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jetting Honda 350 Rancher

I moved from 8000 ft to sea level. The local Honda dealer wants $100 to "re-jet" my carb. With a little help and guidance from one of you charitable fine individuals, I am sure it is a "do-it-yourself" job, (I pray, hope, and think). I also have a Yamaha Bruin to do the same to so the $200 could be used for new shoes for the kids instead of making the Honda dealership wealthier.
Would anyone be willing to give me an "A to Z" on the proces of installing the sea level jets please, I sure would be very appreciative. I am not broke but like I said, the $200 sure could be used other things.
Thanks so much.
PS: Keep the technical information on a real amateur level or else I won't "get it". I am a hands on do it yourself type but much more in the way of carpentry, plumbing and electrical than engine mechanics.

Old 01-04-2007, 02:31 PM
Elite Pro Rider

The jetting is gonna be lean, right now, so dont do alot of driving while its jetted this way. If it were too rich, that wouldnt be a big deal but being too lean is.
Your best bet is to join a club or find someone whos done it before to step you thru it.
Basicly you got to take the gas tank off, or at least move it out of the way, also anything alse that might be in the way of getting your hands in there by the carb.
Its posible to change the jets while the carb is connected to the carb, but its easier if the carb is off the machine and on the bench.
You might want to buy service manuals for each quad. Then youll have pictures and how tos.
The float bowl, which is held on by 4 screws will need to come off, and inside there is the jets. The jets will be stamped with a number which identifies what size it is. Read the number on the main, and compare it to the service manual, and see if its a smaller than stock jet. It should be if it was set up correctly for altitude.
Go to a dealership or order online, and get the proper sized jets. Unscrew the main jet, thats inthere, and put in the new one.
Check to see if the needle position has changed. Usually the middle position is stock. It may have been lowered one knotch.
Check the pilot jet size(number on side of jet), and it should be stock size, its rarely changed to a smaller jet.
Check the setting on the mixture screw, and set it to the stock specs in the service manual.
Heres a good site with information on jetting, and how to troubleshoot the drivability problems of lean or rich.
jetting
Firt time thru...its nice to have someone experienced help you, but lots of us have done it alone the first time and have done just fine. If you have any questions...just keep asking them, and someone will help.
If you dont want to purchase the service manuals...they can be pricy, try the local library for a copy.

Old 01-04-2007, 03:55 PM
Pro Rider

try this