Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

I'm ready for a 330

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2000, 05:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey I realy like that 300ex.How does it run?I would really like to get a 330 kit but would rather get nerfs,bumper,handlebars,pipe,jet kit,new cam,valve job,and a K&n filter.

Old 12-14-2000, 06:07 PM
Pro Rider

my 300ex or cstarks?

Old 12-14-2000, 07:05 PM
Trailblazer

I'm also gonna jump into this conversation because I think it's about time to modify my stock 1995 300EX. I plan on getting a SuperTrapp IDS 2 exhaust system for it and plan on getting some more stuff as I get the money for it. As far as I know, TC, Four Stroke Tech, and (I think) Curtis Sparks all sell 330cc kits for the 300EX.

OH by the way, if a 330EX will outrun a 400EX, that's good. BUT, Rcr sells a kit for the 300EX that pushes the engine up to 352cc. Prices on it start at $1100 dollars and up. Just something for big money spenders to think about. (I'm cheap as hell so I don't think you will see me with one anytime soon.)

Old 12-14-2000, 07:15 PM
Pro Rider

Yours but I would like to know how cstarks runs also especially when compared to a 400ex.

Old 12-14-2000, 11:27 PM
Pro Rider

Now that i know the companies that sell the 330 kit, i need to know which one puts out the most power. Since the TC kit doesn't have to have the engine milled, does it put out less power? Or does the FST kit put out the most power? or the powerroll? I need power allaround the power band, low, mid and top.

Old 12-15-2000, 09:46 AM
Pro Rider

Installing the larger sleeve into the top end requires milling of the bottom end too fit the two halfs of the engine back together. If you bore one side, you have too bore the other as well. The TC kit does not need this because the sleeve is taper-bored right at the point where the top end and bottom end of the motor come together for the perfect fit. No bottom end work is needed with the TC330 kit.

Last year I raced with a complete TC Racing engine. Mods included Wiseco piston(stock bore), TC race cam, TC valve springs, TC black box mods(rev limiter, ignition advance), TC headwork(porting, valves), WhiteBrother's complete exhaust system, and airbox mods. That motor had no problem staying with 400EX's on the track, trail or just messing around. The only place it lacked was top end speed.
This year I am running the same exact engine, plus the increase up too 330cc. Tom says the engine dynos around 35rwHP, which is double what "stock" makes. I have not had a chance too ride the "new engine" much, because it is -20 almost every day here in MN.
What I can tell you is this. My quad is running a 35HP engine, with AXIS shocks, and weights 40 less than stock. Do you think that it is fast?
I will be posting pictures of the machine sometime in the next month. So keep you eye's pealed for that. I really like how this thing is turning out.
If someone wants too talk about 300EX mods, write me at: chrisjstark@yahoo.com
or if you want a complete list of mods.(I'm not going too lish 3 pages of mods on here)

Old 12-15-2000, 12:41 PM
Pro Rider

how did you manage to drop 40LBS? mine is probably 10-15lbs lighter.... I'm fixin to go call TC and see what he says would be the best thing I could do to my motor for around $500....

Old 12-15-2000, 02:23 PM
Pro Rider

I stripped the whole quad down too the frame. Then I only put parts back on that are needed for safe operation.
Things that did not make it back on the machine:
Headlight(and hardware)
Handlebar shround
Tool box(and tools)
Tail-light(and hardware)
Parking brake assembly
Parking brake cable
Foot peg mudguards
Mud guards on frame in-front of gas tank
Plastic engine skid

Aftermarket parts also drop weight:
Stock silencer gone
Stock handlebars gone
Stock bumper gone
Stock grab-bar gone
Stock shocks gone
Stock sprockets gone
Stock gas tank gone
Stock skids gone
Stock brake rotors gone
Cut plastic(front and rear)
Lighter internal engine mods
Lighter wheels and tires
All of these also save weight. Between races, I strip the quad down and clean every part. Dirt adds excess weight. You would be surprised how much all of the steel "stock" parts weight. Removal or replacement with plastic or aluminum reduces weight.

Old 12-15-2000, 04:15 PM
Trailblazer

hondatrx300ex: I would call Mark Krotky 903-582-2629. He races pro in the TQRA. He does nearly all the work for me. He lives in Brashear TX, it is on 30 close to sulfer springs. He has his very trick Laeger pro-trax curtis sparks motor for sale. He is asking 10000 for it. It is well worth it. I would not go with FST he did my warrior engine when i had it. It ran very good. But he is hardly ever open and not very helpful. My buddy now has it and it beats 400ex's. Mark rebuilt the engine top to bottem on it. Oh well, I would just call him and see what he thinks you shoul ddo.

later

Old 12-15-2000, 07:18 PM
Pro Rider

yea I know of mark... my friend just got his shocks recharged by him....I also called TC today... he said $300 for piston cam and valve springs, and $90 for the CDI mods... he said I didn't have to do anything with the rocker arms and that they are plenty strong.. and he pretty much said my pipe was a POS... he said that my pipe with the piston cam and cdi mods wouldn't be as fast as a quad with just his pipe...what do ya'll think... its the same pipe FST used on their 330.....I don't care,I can't afford to buy his $350 pipe I still don't know what compression ratio I'm gonna get.... to have a 330 what else would I have to buy? just a sleeve? and the labor to bore it and everything? that shouldn't cost alot should it?

Quick Reply: I'm ready for a 330