Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Newbie can't start 03 Foreman Rubicon

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 01:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie can't start 03 Foreman Rubicon

Hey guys-

Found the primer - didn't do a thing -- found the air intake, covered it partway, exactly the same sounds and results. I'll get a service manual online and that should help me a ton. I have no problem following visual instructions [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Thanks!

Old 01-16-2007, 02:55 PM
TIC
Pro Rider

Just one more quick thing,,, You did confirm the Kill switch was in the run position?
And just for kicks put your tank on reserve.

Old 01-16-2007, 03:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yes, I triple checked the killswitch and had already tried RES fuel in case it would help. I've at least got it inside, warm, clean and jacked up now, so work should be easier. Thanks!

Old 01-16-2007, 03:40 PM
Elite Pro Rider

The spark plug is probably questionable at best, while its inside and getting warm, put a new plug in before trying to start it again. Then, while the plug is out of the head, do a spark check to confirm the spark is there.
How long has it been since the valve clearance was adjusted? If the intake valve tightens up, the compression will drop dramaticly...leading to a no start.

Old 01-16-2007, 06:35 PM
Pro Rider

these things don't even turn over with the kill switch off. I hit it once and took me a second or two to figure out why it stalled and wouldn't turn over

Old 01-16-2007, 08:01 PM
Pro Rider

Im not saying this is the problem but it might help. Try switching to a lighter oil, I use 0w40 amsoil in the winter and it works great. Its designed for cold starts in ATV's and snowmobiles.

Old 01-17-2007, 09:53 AM
TIC
Pro Rider

(these things don't even turn over with the kill switch off. I hit it once and took me a second or two to figure out why it stalled and wouldn't turn over )

I beg to differ, they will turn over. I, in fact was hauled (pulled) out of a deep woods trail one night, was cussing Honda like a mad man as we were getting ready to load in on a trailer only to discover that I had in fact hit the kill switch while going over a large log. My hand had hit it when the wheels jerked...

I then later for my birthday rcvd a nice atv shirt with the name "KILLSWITCH" printed on the back.

Mine is an 2002, and after telling my dealer this funny story, He said they see many atvs come in "that wont start" Only to discover the kill switch is off.
Text

Old 01-17-2007, 01:06 PM
Pro Rider

I beg to differ, they will turn over
Your story is similar to mine, but I caught the switch being off before I had to be towed.

Maybe just my 2004 Rubicon will not turn over when handle bar kill switch is off? I know it used to be the way you describe. That is why I didn't bother looking at the kill switch, because it wouldn't even turn over.

Could my Rubicon be broken? I guess so, but it has worked like that since day one. It only makes sense that it's like that, so unsuspecting people don't kill the battery. I have a friend that hits the kill switch to shut it off, when I get on it and it doesn't turn over I know what the problem is right away. If it is broken, I'm keeping it that way. Thanks.

Old 01-17-2007, 02:47 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: propnut
I beg to differ, they will turn over
Your story is similar to mine, but I caught the switch being off before I had to be towed.

Maybe just my 2004 Rubicon will not turn over when handle bar kill switch is off? I know it used to be the way you describe. That is why I didn't bother looking at the kill switch, because it wouldn't even turn over.

Could my Rubicon be broken? I guess so, but it has worked like that since day one. It only makes sense that it's like that, so unsuspecting people don't kill the battery. I have a friend that hits the kill switch to shut it off, when I get on it and it doesn't turn over I know what the problem is right away. If it is broken, I'm keeping it that way. Thanks.
As far as I know, All Hondas will spin the starter with the kill switch in either position, on or off. Was yours in gear? That definetly will stop spark.

Old 01-17-2007, 02:59 PM
Pro Rider

I just got off the phone with a friend that has an 03, his will not turn over if the kill switch is off. I'll double check tonight, I have to put the plow on for Friday (1st time this year!!)

Quick Reply: Newbie can't start 03 Foreman Rubicon