Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

2005 trx 450 crank bearing

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 03:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 trx 450 crank bearing

looking for info about a problem with the crank bearings in a trx 450 ex. looking at a leftover 2005 understand that honda is aware of the problem.

Old 01-15-2007, 04:50 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know that there has been a post or two about crank brearings, but I am not aware of any widespread "problems" nor is there a recall or anything like that. I do know a number of 40/05 owners (including myself) who have had no problems, and some of these machines are high mileage by now.

This engine has a very shallow oil "sump" (that is oil covering the crank bearing). When I first heard this, my first impression was that perhaps when some folks change oil, they don't initially add enough to cover the bearing, then they start it up dry (?????).

Another issue is that it is a good idea to run extra oil in the transmission side. Some of the gears are only lubed by splash, and running an extra 100 cc's will insure that they never get left high and dry.

Old 01-18-2007, 11:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

Anyone have this problem on an 05 trx 450r? I went to ride the other day and after idling for not even 20 seconds or so, the engine died. Now my kick starter will not budge and I cannot kick the pedal down. It is just stuck. People tell me my crank is shot. Only way to tell is to tear it down. I have also been told there are design flaws with the oem cranks. Anyone else hear of this or has anyone had this problem on their 05? I will need to call Honda and check for some recalls. Someone else told me their rod bearings caused their kick starter to lock up, too.

Could be my problem then. when I changed the fluids out the first time after buying it from someone who hadn't done much maintenance, I filled both fluids levels until I saw a top bubble mark on the level windows. Maybe I didn't add enough to cover the crank bearings?

Old 01-19-2007, 12:48 PM
Trailblazer

Did you fill both sides or just the left side with the window. The right side is the doesn't have that fill window like the other. Thats the one that you want to fill the extra 100cc's. Once it starts coming out the fill hole, put the bolt back in and fill it that extra 100. Red

Old 01-19-2007, 01:32 PM
Red Rider

The reason the oil thing came to my mind is that when I did my first oil change, I filled it until I could see the oil at the top mark on the window. I started it up, (luckely for just a few seconds!), and the oil level went down to BELOW THE LOW MARK.....in fact I couldn't even see any oil in the sight glass. I guess the oil filter and oil cooler took up enough of the oil that it dropped the level that much!
If someone did this and went for a ride without topping it back up, I can imagine that it might leave the crank bearing high and dry! Now that I know this will happen, I add enough extra when I refill, to insure the level will stay between the two marks after startup.

Old 01-19-2007, 01:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

I believe both holes were filled with the correct fluids, however I did not add more to each side like suggested. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 01-20-2007, 11:28 AM
Red Rider

I love how the 450 has a sight glass on the engine side! When I am out on a ride and we take a rest stop, I always glance at the sight glass before I start it up again, and I always keep the oil level to the top mark.

This engine holds so little oil, that any loss is critical! I heard that if you run at high rpm, it can spit oil out through the breather and drop your oil level. Mine never loses any oil, and I never have to top it up between (relatively frequent) oil changes.........

Old 01-24-2007, 05:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

Update, got word back from Honda and it is my crank bearing. Thus causing kickstarter not to start or kick down. 05 trx 450r. Anyone else have this issue and if so is this normal or a defect?

Thanks

Old 01-27-2007, 11:38 AM
Range Rover

GOOD RULE OF THUMB

Read your owners manual... It will tell you how much oil to add, dont just eyte ball it your only going to hit yourself... I add the amount the manual requires, start it up for a minute or two keeping an eye on the fluid levels, cut the engine, check the levels and just to be safe add 100cc to the tranny and crank... Better safe than sorry

And I know this is over kill but I use Synthetic Oil specifically designed for high performance ATV motors and Change it every other ride... Maybe 5-7 hours max...

Old 01-28-2007, 11:51 AM
Trailblazer

make sure you change your oil often i tried to get away not changing it took it for a short ride up to my shop down the road and when i got there the thing was dry of oil.

Quick Reply: 2005 trx 450 crank bearing