Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

WHAT TO BUY???? Please help

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2000, 11:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to consider which quad to buy. I have 3 options with advantages/disadvantages. Please give me an honest answer. They are:
1. USED 2000 Polaris Xpedition 425. $3600
ADVANTAGES:
Cost
Already has a winch
Already scuffed a bit so no tears after the first scratch on a new machine
TRUE 4wd so i've been told
Won't depreciate as much as a new machine will
DISADVANTAGES:
Polaris' questionable reliability
Not sure of the 4wd system
Not the big dog machine
#2 New 2001 Honda Rubicon
ADVANTAGES
Auto Trans good for mudding?
Reliability
Ground clearance
Smooth power delivery
DISADVANTAGES
Not Sporty
Price (I can get one for $6300)
Limited slip not as good as other 2 machines 4WD systems i am told
Extra cost of winch and larger tires for mudding

#3 Bombardier Traxter XT
ADVANTAGES
Good 4WD system
Winch and larger tires alrady installed
Cool Yellow color and styling
Storage box
Not going to see a hundred on the trail every time I go out.
Width may help stability on hills
DISADVANTAGES
Width may hurt in woods
Unproven reliability
Shifter seems clunky and loud
Price ($7600 quoted locally, But I have seen $6900 advertised nationally)
Resale value on 99-00 regular traxters not very high
looks sporty, but does weight of the machine hurt?

I am basically looking to ride woods, some mountain/hills and some mud. I am torn because I used to have a 300ex and it was a good machine, but I do need 4WD and don't want to work on the machine constantly or get stranded. I also don't want to pay out the butt to have a machine sit in the garage 29 days of the month. Please give me honest answers especially if you own/know someone who owns/have ridden these machines

Old 12-13-2000, 11:54 PM
Trailblazer

I got a new Ruby and love it. Sure wish i could have paid only 6300..................

Old 12-14-2000, 12:56 AM
Trailblazer

Hey, I use my quads to plow snow as well as major trail riding! My 98 450s has over 3000 miles on it and we just purchased a Rancher ES 4x4in Sept. Honda is the way to go, A Polaris costed me lots of downtime and over $900 in repair cost in one year of plowing snow. My opion would be the Rancher for price and it's lighter and more sporty than the 450. Good luck!

Old 12-14-2000, 12:59 AM
Trailblazer

Hey, I use my quads to plow snow as well as major trail riding! My 98 450s has over 3000 miles on it and we just purchased a Rancher ES 4x4in Sept. Honda is the way to go, A Polaris costed me lots of downtime and over $900 in repair cost in one year of plowing snow. My opinion would be the Rancher for price and it's lighter and more sporty than the 450. Good luck!

Old 12-14-2000, 06:45 AM
Pro Rider

I would count the traxter out right away. I have heard (not expierienced though) that they have lots of problems. It weighs just under 500 pounds also. With that much money you could buy something so much nicer. I cant help you decide between the other two though, sorry.

Old 12-14-2000, 10:28 AM
Pro Rider

Get an almost new Foreman or Rancher. I know it is not one of your choices but given your situation of the type of riding, price, and need for accesories. Pick up a rancher es w/ just a few hours on it (that way no tears), plus it's pretty sporty, you can get it...put tires and a winch and you'll be rockin!!

Old 12-14-2000, 11:14 AM
Pro Rider

I would go with the 425 Xpedition. The 96 and newer Polaris machines are MUCH improved over the pre-96 models. They were farther improved in 98 or 99 (depending on the model).
The Xpedition has the smoothest shifting, good power for its size, decent speed, good ground clearance, and mainly cost. I have a Polaris, and have driven every other brand but a Traxter quite a bit, and without a doubt, I prefer the Polaris 4x4 system. I have over 3500 miles with zero problems so far with mine. I refuse to buy another machine that does not have selectable 2wd to 4wd. To some it may not matter, but to me it does.

If money was no object, I would likely go with the Rubicon

Old 12-14-2000, 03:54 PM
Bis
Trailblazer

The Polaris seems like the best deal, but is there a reason why it's only $3600? That resale makes me want to go out and buy a new Polaris! Honestly, the 425 Xpedition is a good quad, just beware of things being too good to be true.

The Traxter doesn't appeal to me. It's way overpriced, it's heavy, wide, and doesn't ride particularly well. If I needed to haul alot of stuff around all the time I might consider it. The Rubicon for $6300 is a great deal. I spent the full price on mine and I feel it's worth the money. That's my advise, look carefully into the Polaris and if want to try it, go for it. Otherwise, I'd get the Ruby.

Old 12-14-2000, 04:11 PM
Pro Rider

i can tell you from owning an exp 425 thats its a good machine..ive owned it since august and have basically put it thru hell and no problems,other than needing brake pads,but thats typical(any quad w/discs) for disc brakes when 50%of your riding is mud and water as mine is..$3600. does sound like a good price,id be leary of why its so cheap,with out checking id have to guess retail is about $48-4900 for that quad,make sure you check it out real good..my quad has never left me stranded and you can not beat the true 4 wheel drive,not to say i dont get stuck but i go thru mud as deep as the height of the racks at times .. go and test drive them all but if it were me id buy the exp..sorry i dont know much about the others you listed..good luck

Old 12-14-2000, 04:14 PM
Pro Rider

oh,oh, i just realized i posted in the honda forum.. will i be scolded? j/k