Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rancher Wheels and Tires ??????

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 09:56 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rancher Wheels and Tires ??????

I have to start out by saying that I have done the big tire/fancy rim thing on the Rancher, and in hindsight it was a BIG MISTAKE and waste of time and money! Loading the little quad down with to much tire, simply destroyed many of the qualities that make the nimble little Ranchers such a superb machine. If you think you genuinely need huge tires for mud bogging or greater ground clearance or sex appeal, seriously consider that you probably really need to step up to a bigger machine, and not try to turn a nice little trail quad into something it was never designed to be and end up sacrificing its sweet handling!

That said, I am looking for some lighter rims for my Ranchers. I don't really like the stock Dirt Hook tires that came on my 350, but the Maxxis tires on the 420 have so far proven to be excellent! So, I would like to stick with the Maxis tires, but lose the clunkey steel rims. The tires are 24X8-12 front and 24X10-11 in the rear.

Something like the stock rims that come on Honda sport quads would be great. They are a reasonably light alloy, but have a rolled edge that makes the lip of the rim fairly strong. So far, I have been looking around and I don't think anything exists that would fit the stock tires. Mostly what the aftermarket offers is 12X7" rims with quite a bit more offset than stock, and that then forces you onto their oversize tires........like I said, been there and done that!

Got to say that I am not a rim basher like some riders. I have ridden with guys who bend a rim every ride! I mean, I am riding the same terrain at the same speed as them, and my rims last for years and years. So, I don't really need the strength of steel wheels.

So, anybody know of some alternative rims anywhere out there ?????

Old 02-09-2007, 01:04 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rancher Wheels and Tires ??????

Some of the Douglas and ITP aluminum (non-cast) wheels are availible in 12" heights. I've seen them mostly on bombs, you may want to rummage through the can-am forum and do a quick search or two.