Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

tighten shocks

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2000, 12:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 250x shocks are way to plush.They bottom out on every jump. They 5-way ajustable.Please tell me how to tighten them without a spanner wrench.

Old 12-16-2000, 02:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have a pair of 12" Channel locks? They wil do a better job than the special tool and have many other uses besides. I'm sure you realize that adding preload to the shock does just that ...it pre- loads the spring and that is all. Compression and rebound damping by means of better valving are the things which allow the shock to absorb hits.

Old 12-17-2000, 12:51 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey hot shoe, or anyone else
I am looking for aftermarket shock. COuld you please explain to me about preload,rebound,and is it compression? thank you

Old 12-17-2000, 07:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DIEhardRlDER,
Pre-load- increasing the pre load by rotating the adjuster ring on the shock simply shortens the spring in increments; usually up to five. Primarily offsets weight & stiffens the shock in all situations. Offers litle benefit in overall suspension improvement.

Re-bound- Refers to the action of the shock after sustaining a hit, such as a whoop, jump, etc. The movement of the shock in returning to its' unloaded position, is the rebound. The speed of the rebound can be adjusted on many shocks via a click adjuster at the base of the shock.

Comression- Refers to the speed and/or the degree of compression of the shock when striking any object, as mentioned above. It can be adjusted to a degree with an external adjuster and internally by valving suitable to the rider's style & skill level.
Not all shocks have all these adjustments easily available to the rider. For example, TCS front shocks aren't rebound- adjustable by the rider. They'e set by the shop based on interview of the rider at the time of ordering, according to skill level & style, i.e., MX, XC, flat track, etc. The valving can be adjusted by the shop if found desirable.
This probably isn't a really technical explanation, but hopefully it may clear up some questions for you.