Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Thinkin about a Rincon...

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 09:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinkin about a Rincon...

Well it's been a long time since I was on these forums, but when I recently started looking into a 4x4 quad, I just had to get some forum opinions first. Now you can see from my sig what kinds of machines I'm into. I won't be hunting much, no heavy work, just a pure sport machine but with 4x4 capabilities. Now by pure sport I could be talking about a Polaris Scrambler or Yami Wolverine, but I kind of already have the PURE sport base covered. A little more utility, at least as far as comfort and possible 2-up capability goes, is welcome. Now I've already done a lot of homework on the subject, and narrowed it down to basically 2 machines. Honda Rincon and Yami Griz.

Now at this point, I'm leaning pretty heavily towards the Rincon, so it won't take much convincing on your part. I just would really appreciate some honest, detailed owner/rider opinions. I already left it up to the Yami guys to describe the griz, so just let me know what the Rin is like and we'll see what happens.

Old 02-10-2007, 11:43 PM
Pro Rider

I have gotten so used to riding my Rincon that I forget what it is like for other (belt drive) machines. We were riding at Windrock recently and I was behind some Polaris riders. The trail would go from fast to real slow, to mud, to rocks, back to fast, then mud, .....you get the picture. I kept wondering why these guys would stop before and after difficult parts. Of course it caused me to stop and wait. Then I realized that they were shifting from low to high and back again. I don't even think about the half second it takes me to drop to 1st, 2nd, or 3rd on the fly for each situation. I love my Rinny. I have ridden the Bomb 800 and 650, Brute 650, King Quad, Polaris Sportsmans, Vinson, and a few others. I would not trade the Rincon for any of them. It sounds like what you are looking for.

Old 02-11-2007, 12:25 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do own a Rincon and love it. The handling is second to none. It has a very sporty feel to it and will make you ride faster than you really should. The suspension will eat up the rocky off camber stuff with ease. Its not the fastest in its class in a drag race. But on the trail it is one of the fastest. Its just very forgiving which makes it super easy to ride. The steering is light and doesn't beat you to death in the rocks. My last ride was 134 miles and while I was tired, it was nothing like some other quads I've ridden. one thing about the Rincon is that you will have to know how to use the brakes. It doesn't have nearly the engine braking of some of the other quads. So you will have to use your brakes. Also you don't have to stop and put it in low gear everytime you approach a hill. A few clicks with your left thumb and you will have all the low gear you will ever need. If you like stopping to down shift or upshift you can do it to wait on your friends. There is no low range. But it has first gear and no belt. The belt drives need a low range to keep their belts from burning up. You've done your homework so you know the transmission is just like in a car. Torque converter and 3 speed. You can run it in auto when your lazy or use the ESP and shift with your thumb.
The Rincon is a great quad for when you want to just tool around the trails and if you want to ride more aggressively? It will put a smile on your face.
Look at the seat, you state that you will be riding your wife from time to time. The seat is very wide and comfortable on a long ride. She will like the seat.
But both quads are good at about everything and I think they are priced pretty close. So I hope I've helped. But either way good luck with whatever you choose.

Old 02-11-2007, 03:28 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Rinman
Look at the seat, you state that you will be riding your wife from time to time.
Well I don't know what the seat has to do with me riding my wife, (not that I have one, I'm only 19) but between what I've read and what I've heard, a Rincon would probably be a good machine for me. I have many years of riding experience (since I was 4), and like to have as much of a hands-on feel as possible. That's why I like the rincon's 3 speed (cause CVTs are boring) and the fact that you have a separate front and rear brake lever (unlike polaris).

I would say that the griz has my vote for the looks dept., at least the front view, but theres a lot more to a bike than plastics. I am interested to know what's changed on the new EFI rincons, how's the powerband? how's cold starting? does it have an auto fast-idle? has the engine braking been addressed?

Also, Dan, I notice you have a couple mods on your bike already. How are the DD tires working out? And whats the "fan override" referring to?

I suppose at this point all I have left to decide is what color to get. I kinda like the Camo + black look, but it might be nice to wear a little Honda Red again..

Old 02-11-2007, 02:54 PM
Pro Rider

try out this link - take a look
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...=goog-sl&hl=en

Old 02-11-2007, 03:57 PM
Pro Rider

My previous post has video to show the Rincon at it's worst in 3 wheel drive action on Moab slick rock. Even the Polaris all wheel drive system works much better and is also shown. In these situations nothing works as well as a full locking front hub although the Polaris AWD is close.

Old 02-11-2007, 04:09 PM
Pro Rider

Well it looked like that rider wasn't too confident on his machine. I notice thats the only time they show the rincon is when its having a hard time. Also I can't tell whether that's the 650 or 680. I doubt the 680 it would be stalling out like that. That kind of rock crawling isn't really my game anyway. Looks like fun, but I'd rather be tearin up some trails or fire roads. Besides, according to that vid, my only other choice is a Polaris, and that's not gonna happen. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] I also wonder if there were any modifications to the differential on the new 680.

Trending Topics

Old 02-11-2007, 04:54 PM
Pro Rider

Thats just a bunch of old guys having fun in Utah and not any particular brand affiliation. Although the thread was on a King Quad page. I did read that the new 680s have improved down hill engine braking which was really needed in extreme situations. At our age we break easier and take longer to heal so the self preservation urges take over. Good luck Johnny on whatever you choose. The rider is more important than features anyway.

Old 02-11-2007, 09:26 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I have seen that video a thousand timea and laugh every time. First off thsts not the efi Rincon and second it seems like he is having a problem or does not know how to tune the carb. Looks like a jetting issue or even as simple as the a/f screw needing adjustment. Looks like a few of them are newbies so of course he does not know the little tricks of the rincon. I have been in just as bad of situations at Paragon here in PA. Never had stalling problems or could not climb a rock face because of the front diff. No its not a locker but it is possible to get all 4 spinning when needed. There is no modifications on the new 680 but if you really want a locker you can get one for about $300. No one is going to tell you the rincon is the King of quads or its the best thing out. Everyone has their own opinions and needs. I have a sportsman and the awd when it works is awsome. It is the most comfortable on rocky rides but it does not hold together. I bought the Rincon because it handles more like a sport quad but yet still comfortable, plenty of power, reliability, looks, NO BELT and I love the ESP tranny. I dont like EBS so that does not bother me. Try riding on ice with EBS. Talk about scary! If you want a locker you can add one. Dont let it not having a locker change your opinion.

Old 02-11-2007, 10:04 PM
Pro Rider

Well like I said, the locker isn't really a big deal to me. The main thing that gets me is, like you said, how much the rincon handles like a sport quad.

The only question that really remains I suppose is what I should be prepared to pay. I will be financing, probably no more than $1k down, so what (aside from advertised msrp) do rincons go for these days?

Quick Reply: Thinkin about a Rincon...