Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

jumping tips.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2000, 01:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello
I have been riding seriusly for not that long. I am starting to jump jumps that i actually need to be able to control my qaud. Could you please gve me some pointers for a begginer jumper. Everything you do from hitting the lip to landing thanks alot

Old 12-17-2000, 01:42 PM
Pro Rider

well, when i start jumping, i started really small. you have to learn how to get the front up and or down. just work your way up. last year i was only hitting really little single that would only send me 10 ft or so. now i'm hitting 40-50 double and tabletops. its all about being confortable and being able to control your quad while in the air. and one last tip i suggest is PRACTICE, PRACTICE, AND PRACTICE.

Old 12-17-2000, 04:32 PM
Pro Rider

When you are about to hit the jump center yourself over the middle of the quad(standing) with your knees and elbows slightly bent.If the jump is at the top of a hill I would lean slightly forward.If it is on level ground lean slightly back.In the air if the quad starts leaning one way then lean the oposite.When landing let the rear tires hit just befor the front to obsorbe the shock better.When you land do not give it as much gas as you gave when you take off until you get more experienced.Otherwise the atv might run out from under you.Start on small jumps and gradually get bigger.Be safe and always wear a buckled helmet.

Old 12-17-2000, 05:36 PM
Pro Rider

You can ask all you want, but when the time comes to jump, your just going to have to do it..and learn how. When your in the air your not going to be able to think about what everyone is telling you. Just remember to stay back on the quad...use throttle to keep the front end up. Keep things simple. Breaks bring down the front end. in other words...Get fourwheeler straight then hit the jump, stay back a bit...dont let off throttle for to long while in the air .. keep your foot on the back break in case front come up to high. Remember, keep it simple

Old 12-17-2000, 06:46 PM
Pro Rider

If you find yourself nosediving the landing a lot, you may be letting off the throttle on take off. You have to take confidence and stay on the gas off the lip. Don't over do it though, you don't want to loop out backwards. I know some guys who let off on the approach, then blip the throttle on take off. It works for them, but they don't get the height or distance as some others. Avoid ramps with no landing. Flat landing is the worst, it is hard on everything, including you.

Old 12-17-2000, 07:17 PM
Pro Rider

I have jumped before on my friends old suzuki 230 sport, not the best to jump on, but its better than jumping my 4x4. we made a jump about four feet tall, and there was no landing, you just naiiled in third gear, let off right before, then gunned it once your tires were on the jump. I got enough air that i could do a nice no footer, and land it. But it hurts landing with out a landing, how could i make one? and how do i know how far to make it ahead of the jump? Also i need to pointers on jumping too

Old 12-17-2000, 09:48 PM
Pro Rider

I race MX. So therefore, i jump alot. This is what i have learned in my experience. First, and foremost, be confident in your ability. If you jump doubles, triples or anything like that, and if you dont have confidence that you will make it, you will let off and never make the jump. Now, i have a two-stroke, so my technique of approach is different, but what i do is gun the throttle hard all the way till my front wheels get on the takeoff, then i let off and blip the throttle. That is the best way i think. As far as in the air goes, you must be comfortable. If youre scared youll never be fully in control. Just stay calm, and if the quad starts to lean, just lean the opposite way. If the quad nosedives, gas it and pull back. If the nose is too high, tap the rear brake easy. If you hit it too hard, your front end will dive, and youll crash. When landing just stay loose and let your knees, and arms absorb the shock. Stretch your arms in the air, the let them loose a little before you land. Your rear wheels should land slightly before your fronts, that will help you alot when landing long tabletops and gaps. I hoped i have been of some help. Once you are comfortable and have jumped awhile, youll know how much it will take to make a gap, and you can start tricks. Thats when it really gets fun. OH yeah, and make sure you wear the appropriate gear, (jersey, pants, boots, and a good helmet.)

Have Fun
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Old 12-18-2000, 01:45 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for all the help. It seem like I just need some expirience. Jumping is my favorite thing. I dont really have a jump just the canal. I can clear the levee(sp?) What does a jersey do and pants. I have a helmet and am getting some boots those seem like safety for me but not a jersey. I need to work on landing my back first. It tears my arms up when i dont land right.
thank for your time and help

Old 12-18-2000, 01:47 AM
Pro Rider

Oh ya one last thing. WHat model of wrok shock are best for jumping?

Old 12-18-2000, 03:17 AM
Trailblazer

Well as far as big launches onto flat landing I learned the hard way on my 300. It equals blown shock very soon. But for doubles Joe Byrd's technique works for me. That is unless its a 90 foot launch but I'm assuming we're not to that yet. I like to hit it just like 2nd or 3rd gear a few times to get a feel for how it kicks me. Then kinda hit it 1/4 to 1/2 what you would normally and see how far/high its gonna shoot you. Then keep jumping farther and farther till you almost hit the landing. From there you should be able to judge how much throttle is needed to clear it. And remember-this only works on the smaller jumps. I wouldn't recommend half jumping a 50 foot double or anything. Above all be safe and have fun.

Quick Reply: jumping tips.