Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

jumping tips.

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2000, 02:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The last jump I made was a table top. I built it up, then started jumping it. Soon, I was over shooting, so I just kept adding more dirt to it, making it longer. I made it a table top so my friends could jump it too. They didn't go for the landing ramp, they would just land on the flat area on top. (ouch) I had a small bulldozer on loan to me, so adding was easy. I guess if I had a short term loan to a bulldozer, I would have my quad right there and keep working at it, then jumping it. I have never built a double or triple. I have only double jumped at the MX races, but I never used the landings cuz I would always land way past them.

One thing I am into is a jump that throws you up really high, compared to distance. Prolly because I am used to quarterpipe bmx. If I am overshooting my landing, sometimes I take a shovel and modify the takeoff, so I go higher, but the distance is decreased. I don't care for really high speed jumps as much. 3rd is comfortable, 4th is getting scary. 5th, no way. Unless it is just a bump in the trail!

Tabletop

Old 12-22-2000, 03:31 AM
Pro Rider

trx300EXR: As for "brake tapping" in the air... It won't work unless you pull in the clutch. You will kill your motor in the air. My friend did that on his YZ125, and this caused him to nosedive too much and break his arm. I tried it on my sister's warrior, but it didnt work too great, just killed the motor, but it would restart on the landing. It was a 50-55 ft flat landing jump off the top of a dune.

Old 12-22-2000, 11:46 AM
Trailblazer

Personally I like the method described by trx300EXR, the full throttle till you hit the base of the jump, followed by litte bursts. I've allways jumped that way and it seems as if it gives you tons of control in the air. I really hate it though when the quad turns in the air not tilts but actually is facing a diffenent way that you are flying. It really startles me when that occurrs!

01 400ex - ac propeg nerfs, ac F bumper, 14 tooth sprocket, tcs shocks all around

Old 12-22-2000, 12:10 PM
Pro Rider

I hardly ever use the brake tapping... even though it does work... and I've never killed the motor in the air... also if you hit the front brakes it will help.. not as much as the back though...I don't like doing that, just wastes energy... just take it slow and learn how to position your body and throttle control so that it flys straight and you don't have to do any of that... just go out there and start jumping that the best advice you're gonna get...

Old 12-22-2000, 04:51 PM
Trailblazer

ITs good to start small and work your way up little by little. Nobody becomes Pastrana over night.To take off with the front end up you should keep on the gas all the way to the lip of the jump and to have the frobnt end drop, let off the gas as soon as you get to the jump!
---------->www.clryders.net<-------------

Old 12-26-2000, 03:32 AM
Trailblazer

i started out on a little 2 foot jump in my backyard with my warrior and just got bigger and bigger now im jumping the 5 foot stepup sort of jump where i ride in 5th no prob clearing the road ( its right next to a road and you have to cross the road on the jump* i let off as soon as my front tires leave the ground. then just kinda lean or what ever in the air if i the front end starts to go down i may hit the gas a little or lean back on landing well i hit the throttle right b4 landing so my back tires hit first it works for me but may not for you.... use whats best for u on my 4x4 me and my friend used to jump crazy but we used the let off once your on the jump and then gas it at the top. but thats for that bike it works well.... agian start small... and then gradually work up im still learning to jump im useing stock shocks im 6'1 240 lbs or so works good enough for me i also stand up slightly bent at the knees and arms b4 the jump....