Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Herculiner

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2000, 08:12 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am preparing to coat my racks with Herculiner and I was wondering if someone who has already done it could give me a few pointers. I know someone posted a detailed account several monthes ago but I cannot find it.
How did you suspend the racks to coat them? Did you coat one side first then flip it over? I have a small roller brush and a small foam brush (1 3/4"), should I get a larger foam brush? My final question is whether Acetone can take the place of the Xyelene (spelling?) that the can mentions for cleanup and adding to the Herculiner if it becomes too thick. The box said Acetone and Xyelene are not included so I assume that they are interchangable?
Thanks for any help anyone can give me! I'll let you know how it goes.

Ben
2000 4x4 Rancher - Orange

Old 12-19-2000, 09:04 AM
Trailblazer

Hi!!! I just finished doing the same to my 86 TRX 250 Utility. But I used the Dupli-color bed liner coating. The reason being that it comes in the can with the roller or a spray can. The spray can was great. One can per rack. It has specific temperature requirements for application. I coated the whole thing then came back a couple of hours later and gave it a dust coating from about two feet away. This coating gave it a real rough finish that I was looking for. Seems real durable. When I took the rack off it had some rust spots where the paint had chipped. I scuffed it down, threw on some rust remover, let it dry, then primed it with automotive primer. Then the bedliner went on. Pretty easy. Hope you get great results.

Old 12-19-2000, 09:29 AM
Pro Rider

Use the foam brush, it works best. Also WEAR RUBBER, DISPOSABLE GLOVES. This stuff makes a mess, but its well worth it. And lay it on thick, the thicker the better. A "dabbing" method w/ the foam brush will work best. Hope these tips help.