Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Trouble with aftermarket carb!! (not mine)

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 11:34 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble with aftermarket carb!! (not mine)

A guy I know brought over his decked out Honda EX 400. He had been sticking money into it like a madman until finally it quit running on him. It has an aftermarket Carburator on it....an edelbrock of some sort. See these pictures:

http://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...rtracker/misc/

Anyways, I haven't gotten a chance to look at the wheeler yet, but I wanted to quick see if you guys had anything to say about that carb or knew of anyting I should keep an eye on. He told me to just buy a stock carburator for it to get it running so he could sell it. I figured I would check with you guys first. Im sure if nothing else he would even be up for a trade???

Let me know if you have any info or know about this carb....I don't get into wheelers a whole lot. mostly sleds.

Thanks!

Old 04-06-2007, 12:30 AM
Pro Rider

Don't really know much about those at all, but did it start not running right after the carb was installed? has he installed the stock one to see if he can get it going? What sorta motor mods does he have?

Old 04-06-2007, 03:13 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had an Edelbrock on the 400EX years ago. The Edelbrocks factory is very near where I live, and I took it over there and they installed it and tuned it.....and it never was quite right! It has a bog off idle that just could not get tuned out. It bogged on me once on the takeoff of a big double jump, and I came up short....darn near got me killed! I took it off the next day and put the stocker back on.

Old 04-06-2007, 12:07 PM
Trailblazer

What's your buddy lookin to get for his quad? I live outside Fond du Lac and have a few freinds who are in the market for a new quad. One of them is looking for a 400EX, so let me know. Maybe I could help[ both of you out. Red

Old 04-07-2007, 08:55 PM
Range Rover

Well, I finally got some time to play with this thing. It seems to be running pretty good now actually. I didn't do anything scientific with it. I didn't have to pull the carb apart at all. Just cleaned up the plug and poured some gas in the cylinder about 4 times in a row until it seemed to get all of the hickups out of its system from sitting the last few years. Now it starts and runs good. I am going to let it sit until tomorrow, and see how it starts then after sitting. If it starts good I will take it out for a ride.

I do have one question about this carburtor. Ther is some type of a button/trigger on the top of the carb. When the gas tank is on the wheeler, the gas tank actually depresses this button. With the gas tank off, the button stays up. Is this by design? What is this button. I played with it while it was running and didn't notice any changes. Is the gas tank supposed to be pushing it down??

About selling it....Im not sure how much he would be asking. I will show you some pictures, this thing is pretty decked out. I have no idea what is stock on it anymore. All of the plastin on it is Orange, looks pretty nice.

Old 04-07-2007, 09:10 PM
Range Rover

One more thing. Does this carb have any type of a choke?? I don't see it if it does. Is it somehow incorporated in with the throttle....like pumping the the throttle before starting???