Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

rear disc for Rubicon?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007 | 11:44 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default rear disc for Rubicon?

I have a pair of 06 Rubicons and love em. I have had a few people say that if I keep creek riding that the "water tight" seal set up Honda has in place is going to fail and ruin my brakes. They say I should find a rear disc brake kit but no-one can seem to tell me anything first hand about em.

Are they worth the money?

How hard is it to change em out?

Where the heck can I even find em?

Old 04-06-2007 | 12:18 AM
Pro Rider

Go to High Lift I do beileve that they offer rear disk brake kits.

Old 04-06-2007 | 12:46 AM
|
Trailblazer

I went to their site but I could not get the page to go to products... I dont know what the heck the problem is.

Still looking though..

Old 04-06-2007 | 11:44 AM
Pro Rider

the seals will fail if the grease breaks down and drys out. if you keep seals filled you can go over your tires without issue.

seals should be done every oil change if you ride water like i do

Old 04-06-2007 | 01:42 PM
|
Trailblazer

Okay... stupid question time... You say to keep the seals filled. I worked on cars for a few years and just from looking at this set up it looks like it would just be replacing a seal by removing what looks like a hub and popping it out??

Is is as simple as it looks? I have never worked on an atv and this is the first one I have owned as an adult. Any help is appreciated.

Old 04-06-2007 | 02:10 PM
Pro Rider

the most important seal is the 3 lined one on the brake drum itself, that needs grease all the way around to keep the majority of the water out. the next seal is on the other side of the hub where the cv shaft goes into hub, that sometimes needs greae/replacement if worn

if you let water in, you will need to replace all seals, as they will be destroyed from the dirt that got in them, they are about 10 bucks a piece for the hub set

Old 04-06-2007 | 03:47 PM
|
Trailblazer

Thanks man. Sounds easy enough and I am about 50 miles from my next oil change. It is worth 10 extra bucks a pop to save the rear end and bearings.

Old 04-06-2007 | 05:01 PM
Pro Rider

sorry man, i was talking about the front.

rear uses a huge oring and a 17 dollar seal in the hub, and a 8 dollar one on the rotating brake lever.

if you want pull both the left and the right side, and re grease everything with a synthetic grease.

at about 2000 miles if you do mudding water on a consistent basis, replace the left side bearing and seal, mine exploded at about 4000 miles

Old 04-11-2007 | 01:13 AM
|
Trailblazer

So at about 2000 miles I should pull open the drum and seals and regrease the bearings on the rear...

And you are saying at each oil change I should pull my front rotors etc and change those seals???

I just want to be sure I am understanding correctly. I do spend a lot of time in sand, water, gravel in the creek that we ride as well as fair amount of mud. Not like mud pits you see on sites like killeratv.com but it is good enough mud to make you have to work to get through it.

Old 04-11-2007 | 01:59 AM
Pro Rider

change bearings in the rear end on the left side along with seals in the axle tube

front should be opened and regreased every oil change, they are drums not rotors, as long as water doesn't get in the drums you don't need to replace the seals

Quick Reply: rear disc for Rubicon?