Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

AMSOIL/rubicon

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 10:02 AM
TIC
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AMSOIL/rubicon

Week ago or so I posted if anyone had used it in there Rubicons. Got a few responses but not many, and thats ok not many are using it I suppose.

Well Over the weekend My 02 Rubicon and my wifes 02 recon both got it put in there engines/trannys.

RESULTS/ from start up the smoothness is noticable. My wife even said "sounds like yours is starting easier"
But the huge differance is the shifting of her RECON there is no more hard shifts AND if you own a ES machine you know that from time to time it seems to bang into gear instead of being soft and smooth. Her shifting was flawless and there is no more "HONDA ROCK" when she stops and shifts down to "N".

Now, what did I notice differant in my Rubicon?? Like I said start up, the way the starter turns the motor , there is a differance. And the shifting from "N" TO "D" TO "L" to "R" Is as smooth as silk... it has never been like that NEVER. Does the oil actually have any thing to do with the gear shift?? I dont know but something has changed..

Engine noise.. The normal rubicon rattles are way less!!!! And if you own a rubicon You know the noises Im talking about. But the big one is when I shut it down and fire it right back up 15 seconds later.... it is much less noisy...

Before it was like it would have A valve chatter NOISE for about 5 seconds or until I goosed the throttle.. But that is no more.

Now did I notice any differance just cruising? No not really.. I logged about 35 miles yesterday and all was normal.

The oil meets all the HONDA GN4 requirments and it is For ATV use. So if GN4 IS SAFE FOR MY RUBICON AND THIS OIL MEETS ALL THE GN4 REQUIRMENTS?????

Old 04-10-2007, 11:51 AM
Pro Rider
Default AMSOIL/rubicon

I use the Amsoil 0w-40 in all my atvs. I have noticed that they all run a little cooler because the fans on the oil coolers on both the Bruin and Rancher run less after slow driving.

The Bruin started smoking on start-up and the smoking ceased after the change over to the Amsoil. In fact, my Rancher started using the Honda oil(non syn) after the first oil change to the point that it had started to smoke some. The Amsoil stopped that. In fact, the Rancher uses no oil at all now.

My Rancher shifts about the same with the Amsoil(it's a manual tranny) but I have noticed that it turns over easier in cold temps as well as the Bruin.

The oil meets the satandards for motorcycle use and I will continue to use the Amsoil from now on. I plan on purchasing a case of the right grade of Amsoil for my Yamaha V Star. I'm sold on Amsoil and synthetics in general.

Old 04-16-2007, 11:40 PM
Range Rover
Default AMSOIL/rubicon

TIC, thanks for the post on the AMSOIL. I have used the Honda oil since our machines were new but it is becoming difficult to purchase locally. I have wondered about the AMSOIL product and thanks to your post I will obtain some information and seriously consider its use. The engine and transmission on the Rubicon share the same oil so it is entirely possible the change to AMSOIL would make shifting easier. My only concern will be the clutch......The Rubicon has a wet clutch and Honda states that the use of a synthetic may cause the clutch to slip too much.......Thanks again for the post, I will look into it's use.....Tass

Old 04-17-2007, 12:08 AM
JRM
Pro Rider
Default AMSOIL/rubicon

I broke mine in on GN4 honda oil, then at 500 miles on the 3rd oil change swaped to Amsoil https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/mcf.aspx
the best oil on earth, my dad flew fighters in the AF all threw the 60's and 70's and will not use any other oil.
I change the oil whenever the light comes on, as it lasts forever

Old 04-17-2007, 12:12 AM
JRM
Pro Rider
Default AMSOIL/rubicon

Hey Tass, good times- hey the Amsoil "motercycle" blend does not have the teflon that sticks to the wet clutch. I have run it in my XR250R since 1992 and have worn 3 front tires bald, and never have had a rebuild. Its wonderfull. Oh, I also put 320K on a old 1988 Hyundai threw college with no engine work ever with amsoil

Old 04-17-2007, 12:14 AM
JRM
Pro Rider
Default AMSOIL/rubicon

I keep auto posting my replys by mistake, guess tab doenst work on here to well. Just make sure to use the Motercycle blend:
https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/mcf.aspx

Old 04-17-2007, 10:21 AM
Trailblazer
Default AMSOIL/rubicon

I think i'm going to start using amsoil in my rancher, hopefully it'll help some of the engine rattles and valve clattering, any input on a K&N oil filter?

Old 04-17-2007, 10:21 AM
TIC
Pro Rider
Default AMSOIL/rubicon

Ok guys, be sure to note that there is an motorcyle amsoil,, and an atv amsoil..

I also have read and re read my owners manual and NO WHERE can i find where it says not to use "SYNTHETIC"
could someone please give me the page number to this.

K&N oil filter? Yes I Have used it on my rubicon,, I stated in another post that oil flow is a huge part of the rubicons design, well K &N states in increases oil flow so I figured it had to be good...
However because of ease of ordering my stuff via the web this go around I got a WIX filter instead.

Old 04-17-2007, 10:09 PM
Range Rover
Default AMSOIL/rubicon

What is the exact type of Amsoil that you used in your rubicon? I am thinking about using this in my Rancher AT.

Old 04-17-2007, 10:48 PM
JRM
Pro Rider