Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Help! 99 400EX wont star

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 03:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! 99 400EX wont star

This is the first atv I have owned. Ran fine for 2 weeks, no issues.
Saturday, I fired it up to get it a little warm for an oil change and it quit after about 30 seconds. It was a pretty cold morning. I changed the oil and filter, plug, and air filter. Now it just cranks and cranks, but wont kick. Its getting fuel not sure how to check if its getting a spark.

Anyone have any ideas?

Todd

Old 04-20-2007, 03:54 PM
Range Rover

I would first check for spark. To do this, pull out the spark plug from the engine. Once it is out, plug the spark plug wire back into the top of the spark plug. Then hold the bottom of the plug against your engine case. Now when you crank on the starter, you should be able to see a spark jumping back and forth. Did that make sense?

I assume you have checked to make sure the gas is turned on. If it was off, it would idle for around 30 seconds before running out of gas.

Old 04-20-2007, 03:58 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You didn't bump the kill switch off by accident, did you??? I have bumped mine and it took me a couple of frustrating minutes before I realized what I had done.

Still got your old plug??? Seeing it's not that easy to get the new plug out, use your old one and pull out the rubber boot that has the plug wire in it. Seat the plug inside, then touch the base of the plug somewhere on the engine block (to ground it) and turn the engine over. It should spark across the gap.

If you aren't carefull, when you are wrestling the rubber boot out, sometimes you can end up disconnecting the wire inside. If you don't have spark, consider that as a possibility. I think the wire will just screw back into a post inside the boot (???).

Old 04-21-2007, 08:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info. Tried, plenty of spark. Sounded like it was trying to start this morning, but nope. Not happening. Could it be that the battery is so dead that it just wont turn it over. I was running the battery of a jumper this morning. Sounded like it was cranking strong. But as soon as I pull the charger it cranks twice and then its dead. I dont get it, it ran like a champ one day, then she died.

If any body has more ideas or info Id appreciate any input.

Old 04-21-2007, 09:29 PM
Range Rover

I would for sure charge your battery over night. However, it's not needed to start your 400ex. If you live on a hill you can do this yourself or else you might have to bribe someone to help you. Get a good running start with your fourwheeler in neutral, then jump on it and pull in the clutch and shift down to second. Then, let go of the clutch fast and give it wide open throttle. This is called "popping" the clutch and should turn it over if you are going fast enough.

Old 04-21-2007, 09:46 PM
Pro Rider

If you have enough gas, it is on at the petcock, you have tried starting it with the choke, and it has spark then I would charge the battery... since the quad is used you may have clogged jets which won't allow you to get any gas...When you took out the plug did you notice if it was wet or not because if not you aren't getting any gas.