Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 Rubicon

Wow, I pay $3.89 a quart.

Old 04-23-2007, 09:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 07 Rubicon

I really like the rubicons, It will be one of the atvs i will be looking at when i buy next. Sounds like yall like them allot.

Sorry to get off topic but angler, i see you have a ZR2, how do you like it. i have on also. pretty cool rides but the mpg's suck.

Old 04-23-2007, 09:53 PM
Pro Rider
Default 07 Rubicon

Redrubi, can you compare the ride of the Rincon to your new Rubicon?

and Rubicon1963, can you compare the ride of the 04 to the 07 for me?

I really like my Rubicon, but would appreciate a better ride. I can still hang with the indys in the rough stuff, but I pay for it later. I do not want to give up the transmission (among other likes), so I'm looking at shocks, but doubt affordable ones like Progressive 512s will change the ride much. But if the new frame rides better.......

I try to tell people that haven't ridden one how good the engine braking is. It just never gets through to some.

Old 04-23-2007, 10:15 PM
Pro Rider
Default 07 Rubicon

alwaysride, I like it but you are right about the mpg. I usually get around 12 and 15 in town. Most of the 1/2 ton chevy's get better than that. What does yours get? I drove it down to Black Mountain last year for a fourwheeling trip. It had a rancher 350 in the bed and mine on a small trailer plus all the gear. It did alright but at times going up the hills I could of used more power. I have 80,000 miles on it now.

Old 04-24-2007, 12:17 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 07 Rubicon

I was just towing my 360 and a outlander down near the area of harlan. Bout an hour north at the new honda training center in knott county. Was a fun ride. My zr2 pulled great when i just left it in 3rd. Got about 12mpg pulling them atvs in the hills. But around normal driving i get 13(winter) and 15-16(summer) mpgs.

Old 04-24-2007, 01:41 AM
Range Rover
Default 07 Rubicon

propnut
OK, here's goes, I'll be honest and do my best.

07 Rincon versus 07 Rubicon:.....
Rincon First
Top End Engine Noise:
I am very picky about engine noise...I hate it. I'm not talking exhaust, I'm talking about piston noise, hammering under hard acceleration, ect. That was one big complaint I had with the Rincon. I even went so far as to take my plastic off on top and put sound deadening foil insulation under it to dampen the piston hammer noise. It didn't help a lot, so I did the same on my side covers. very frustrating. it still bugged me.
Poor Engine Braking:
Had to ride the brakes almost constantly in steep down grades like coming off the big mountains. Engine braking non existant under 10 or 15 MPH.
Excellent ride and handling, better than any machine I've ridden.
Overall, the rinny was a pretty good machine, but they screwed up big time in the tranny dept. Tranny needs at least another gear and low range. OK, I won't go on any more about what I didn't like with the Rincon because I know there are a lot of guys out there with them that love them.

Rubicon:
No top end piston hammer. That's a biggy for me. I thought the Rubicon would ride a lot rougher than it does. I am very pleased with the ride, even after coming from a Rincon. it rides far better than any other SRA I have tried, but not quite as good as the Rincon. I think it actually responds in turns better than the Rincon, and trail riding is sporty feeling at least to me. I think I could hang in there with a Rincon on a fast trail ride. I think with some shock upgrades most would be impressed with the ride of the 07 rubicon. Add up all the extra stuff you get on the Rubicon, (Rear storage, Handlebar mounted headlight, and some other little things, it's easy for me to see which machine suits me better.

Engine Braking is Phenominal, on a steep hill I can get off the machine and walk beside it under engine braking. You can actually shift up with the throttle and it just pickks up a slight bit of speed with each gear.

As far as the 07 Rubicon VS the 04, there seems to be a little difference in ride, the 07 is just a little smoother. I don't know why, maybe better tires. The frame is the same as far as I know.
Oh, and did I mention we ran the 07 Rincon and my 04 Rubicon side by side from a dead stop, and the Rubicon was pulling away slightly. I know the Rincon would pull away after 50 mph or so because it had 10 more mph on top than my Rubicon.

Old 04-24-2007, 01:06 PM
Pro Rider
Default 07 Rubicon

thanks Redrubi.

My first XR600 had the piston noise you refer too. It worried me at first, but by the time I had my 5th 600 I knew it was typical of a big 4 stroke. My SP600 did it to. Keep in mind I am not talking about detonation.

The "little difference in ride" still has me apprehensive about upgrading. The only other reason's I'd switch is for the discs in the front, a little larger tank, and I think the newer style is better looking. I could care less about taking it out of 4wd.

If I could just get to talk to someone with the progressive 512s it would help me decide.

The 05 and up frame is different and part of the package that our neighbors in Canada brag about (the Rubicon CTE).

I can deal with the ride 70% of the time, it's those fast rides in bumpy terrain that beat me up. From my short ride on the Rincon I do think the Rubicon is more stable on fast corners because of less body roll. I can hang with a friend with a Rincon, he just has an easier time at it. I think it's 3 speed limits it's acceleration too.

Why did you need a top end? Did you adjust the valves as you should have? Change the oil regularly?

Old 04-24-2007, 02:52 PM
Range Rover
Default 07 Rubicon

You must have mis-understood me. I didn't need to replace the top end, I just didn't like the hammering noise. I did change the oil regularly and set the valves at 500 miles. I think you're right about the 3 speed hurting acceleration too.

Old 04-24-2007, 04:02 PM
Pro Rider
Default 07 Rubicon

oops, I mixed you up with Rubicon1963. Wondering why he needed a top end.

Old 04-24-2007, 06:57 PM
Trailblazer
Default 07 Rubicon

Hey prop,
The dealer couldn't tell why. But I heard from others that some of the honda's have had a problem with their cams...just what I've heard...we sure didn't run it hard I do know that....and we change oil like clock work...use Honda oil..

Quick Reply: 07 Rubicon