Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda 420 Valve Adjustment - Tough job?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 11:08 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Honda 420 Valve Adjustment - Tough job?!

none

Old 05-02-2007, 11:11 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, here's a dumb question?! Is ".15" measured in mm and ".006" measured in inches? I think the feeler gauges I used had two numbers on them and I went by the ".006" and the ".009". Is this correct or was I way off? Thanks fr the help HondaMechanic!

Nevermind, I didn't read your post right the first time through.
Thanks for the help.

Old 05-11-2007, 09:40 AM
Range Rover

For anyone needing the shop manual for the 07 Rancher 420, though it seems obvious be sure to check the parts department at the dealer where you bought the machine. I was surprised to find they had it in stock, and priced at $48 just as indicated in the owner's manual. The local dealer also gives buyers 10% off on parts and accessories for a 90 day period, which brought my cost down to $43.20.

If you are planning to buy a new machine, ask them to throw in a shop manual to seal the deal, or at least get it for their cost. This is one of those little details which, if you're thinking about it at the time of purchase, you've got a chance of getting it just for the asking ... until you sign on the dotted line.

Old 05-21-2007, 11:44 AM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: WoodRat

For anyone needing the shop manual for the 07 Rancher 420, though it seems obvious be sure to check the parts department at the dealer where you bought the machine. I was surprised to find they had it in stock, and priced at $48 just as indicated in the owner's manual. The local dealer also gives buyers 10% off on parts and accessories for a 90 day period, which brought my cost down to $43.20.

If you are planning to buy a new machine, ask them to throw in a shop manual to seal the deal, or at least get it for their cost. This is one of those little details which, if you're thinking about it at the time of purchase, you've got a chance of getting it just for the asking ... until you sign on the dotted line.</end quote></div>

i wish i had done that. . .how much would this cost to have the dealer do it? thanks.

Old 05-21-2007, 11:56 AM
Trailblazer

ha ha, yeah i just called motions (where i bought my rancher) and they want $260 + parts for the "first" service. i about fell out of my chair laughing when he told me everything that they do. . .things like change all fluids, tighten all bolts, check the battery and the brakes. . .adjust the valves and the throttle. . .

i have already changed all the fluids im not near the 20 hr mark yet but i will be buying the manual and doing this on my own. . .

Old 05-21-2007, 12:47 PM
Range Rover

You ask for a figure in dollars about the cost of having the dealer adjust the valve clearance for you, but my view is you lose more than money by taking your beloved machine to the dealer for service.

As for the dollar amount, my dealer offers what they call the complete initial 20 hour service for $189, which they made sure to inform me of the day I went to pick mine up. Besides checking and adjusting the valve clearance as needed, they change the engine oil and filter, and I don't know what else, check for loose parts I guess. The dealer will emphasize that this initial service keeps the warranty valid, but the warranty still remains valid if you do it yourself.

If you have a little mechanical inclination I would encourage you to buy the manual for around $50 and do it yourself. Not so much to save a few bucks, but more importantly to make yourself a little more competent and gain the satisfaction that comes with knowing how to maintain your own machine. Have you seen some of horror stories in this forum about how uncaring or incompetent some shop mechanics apparently are? Show your machine some love and do it yourself. She'll purr for you.

Old 05-21-2007, 12:54 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: WoodRat

You ask for a figure in dollars about the cost of having the dealer adjust the valve clearance for you, but my view is you lose more than money by taking your beloved machine to the dealer for service.

As for the dollar amount, my dealer offers what they call the complete initial 20 hour service for $189, which they made sure to inform me of the day I went to pick mine up. Besides checking and adjusting the valve clearance as needed, they change the engine oil and filter, and I don't know what else, check for loose parts I guess. The dealer will emphasize that this initial service keeps the warranty valid, but the warranty still remains valid if you do it yourself.

If you have a little mechanical inclination I would encourage you to buy the manual for around $50 and do it yourself. Not so much to save a few bucks, but more importantly to make yourself a little more competent and gain the satisfaction that comes with knowing how to maintain your own machine which you enjoy riding so much. Have you seen some of horror stories in this forum about how uncaring or incompetent some shop mechanics apparently are? Show your machine some love and do it yourself. She'll purr for you.</end quote></div>

well put, i am very mechanically inclined. . .i was more so looking to save time. . .by having them do it. . .but not for nearly 300 bux. . .specially since i have already done everything but the valve adjustment. . .i mean it cant be harder then setting the timing on a new V-8 or the backlash on the valves on a v-8 [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-21-2007, 04:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

Checked valve clearance while doing first service myself after about 16 hrs. Biggest PIA is removing the fuel tank and under trays below the tank to get adequate room. I agree that for $200 or so what the dealer charges is quite a bit for something you can do you yourself. It's not so much the money, but to familiarize yourself with the machine to determine what you can do yourself if you get in a pinch in the boonies and what tools to carry. By all means get the $50 manual.

Old 05-30-2007, 12:20 AM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: redphone106

Yes, the .009 is for the 420's and the .006 is for the 350's. I will scan the shop book in tonight and email it, though I don't know how helpful it will be because it is for the 420.</end quote></div>

can i get a e-mail with the pdf plz? i need to do this adjustment before my trip on friday and i waited to long to order the manual!plz help [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

kwilliams@ailgeorgia.net

Old 06-24-2007, 09:53 AM
Range Rover

I finally checked the valve clearance at 24.9 hours, going a little over the recommended 20 hours due to a ride with my wife last weekend at Diamond Lake Recreation Area which ended up putting 7 hours on the meter, see the new photos on my page.

Anyway, I found that checking the valve clearance wasn't so difficult as it was tedious in having to remove all the panels, hoses, and fuel tank to get at the head. I went one step further than the manual and loosened up wiring and the fuel line enough to move the plastic heat shield between the engine and fuel tank. This opens the whole top of the head up and made it easier for me to do the adjustment, so that I didn't' have to contort my hands and fingers in the little crevasses while trying to peer through holes to see what I was doing.

When turning the engine over to line up on the T mark I found it would slip right past the mark easily so I'd have to go around again. I did this a few times, then when I was able to line up the mark I couldn't tell if the piston was at TDC by the method prescribed in the book, "when both rocker arms are slack" so pulled the spark plug to be able to gently touch the top of the piston with a screw driver when it came up. With the heat shield moved aside I was finally able to determine the rockers had slack when the mark was lined up and I could tell the piston was up with the plug out. So with all indicators seeming to be correct I proceeded to check the valve clearance.

I found the clearance on the exhaust valve to be pretty close to the .009 spec and the intake valve seemed a little tighter than it's .006 spec ... but I loosened them both and reset them as the book says, with "a slight drag on the feeler gauge". Put it all back together and it runs fine. It took me a good 3 hours to do the job going slowing and trying to be methodical. But now that I've done it once I'm sure I can get it done quicker next time. It was interesting to learn a little more about how the system is put together, and I highly recommend to anyone who feels inclined, give it a shot.

Quick Reply: Honda 420 Valve Adjustment - Tough job?!