Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Which would you do first?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 11:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which would you do first?

Have a 300EX with some minor mods but I think that a nicer race style suspension would help me a lot with bottem-ing that I am doing lately. What would you guys do first and why.

Thanks

Old 06-19-2007, 11:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

I installed 400ex front shocks on the stock a-arms with a Diamond J Customs shock relocation mount. Along with the 2001 Raptor rear shock I also added, I think these are the single most important affordable upgrades you could do to the bike (assuming you have replaced the stock rear tires - I run 20" Kenda Klaws).

The 300ex is a nice bike, with plenty enough power for the trail riding I do. But the tree roots, washed out trails, and jumps/drop-offs I ride put way too much strain on the stock suspension.

Since making these changes, I can actually use the power of the bike. I am not afraid to hit things hard, and if the bike still bottoms out, I have a hard time feeling it. This is not to say you won't bottom out on a track if you hit a double wrong, but considering I spent less than $200 total for the mount and three used shocks (all in good shape), I think this was a much better deal than Works or Elka.

As for replacing the a-arms, I think you will need to get new shocks first. The Diamond J mount has two mounting positions, the lower one I believe for use with the longer 400ex a-arms. Without the shock relocation mount, if you install 400ex a-arms, you will lower the front end, and it will not help your suspension travel. I would get the mount and 400ex shocks first. If you want to add 400ex a-arms later, all you will have to do is move the shocks to the lower mounting position.

If you are looking at expensive racing a-arms, then ignore the above. As a weekend (at best) rider, I'm not willing to put that much money into this bike.

With all of this great suspension travel I now have, I will probably start working on the engine next. Just FYI, I bought all of my suspension components (including the mount) off Ebay.

Old 06-20-2007, 12:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

Is there that much differance betweent he 400 and 300 shocks and was putting the paptor shock in the back difficult?

Old 06-20-2007, 12:18 AM
Weekend Warrior

Does the company who sells the relocation mount have a website. also, would a 450r rear shock fit on my 300 without any major problems?

Old 06-20-2007, 09:59 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your original question was....which to do first?????

Usually you are going to have to do them both together! A change in a-arms (like +2" or something like that) will change the leverage on the shock, so you will have to change the shocks anyway. No cheap way out of this one!

I'm not sure I am with all this shock swapping and Jerry rigging that goes on. (One guy asked if he could put a 400EX front shock on the back of his 250EX.) I know you can pick up stock shocks on e-bay, but like any used thing that is for sale, you have to ask yourself if it is so great why are they getting rid of it in the first place????

I would just spend the $$$ to get good quality aftermarket shocks that are made for your machine! I have had great luck for many years with Works Performance, on a number of different quads.

Old 06-20-2007, 10:46 AM
Weekend Warrior

Diamond J Customs

I'm telling you, even with the stock a-arms, this is a good modification. The 400ex front shocks are about 2 inches longer, and your suspension travel will increase about that much. They are much nicer than stock 300ex front shocks. If you want to get Works or Elka, I would even go so far as to suggest you get the Diamond J mount first, then get aftermarket shocks for a 400ex.

The bracket mounts up on the stock mounting holes. It is a very easy installation, though a bike lift helps a lot.

The Raptor rear shock is also a completely bolt on installation. All you have to do is mount the remote reservoir on the left side of the frame. This shock does not need a lower link, like the 400ex or 450r rear shocks, so it fits the bike without any permanent mods. You will need some 1/2 inch metric sockets and extension bars for installation.

With all due respect to Recon Ranger, most of us do not own 6 bikes, do not ride every weekend, and do not wish to spend a ton of money on this sport. We are looking for affordable things to do that make riding more pleasurable. Would I buy Elka if I could? My good friend has Elka's on his Brute Force. He also does not have a wife and two young kids at home like I do... You have to put your money where it is needed most!

So if money is no object, go for the best. If not, what I suggested will make your bike ride much better than stock. If you buy this stuff and don't like it, just list it back on Ebay again. Someone else will likely pay you as much for it as you paid. I got my Raptor shock for about $60 shipped. I've seen them go for over $100. I just got lucky that no one else bid on it that time.

If you want some pictures or need any other info, just let me know. One of these days I'll actually add some to my profile.

Old 06-20-2007, 11:06 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say if money is a limiting factor, better to wait, save your money and do it right the first time, than to nickle and dime yourself to death doing half baked mods using questionable stuff you got off of e-bay......

Old 06-20-2007, 11:11 AM
Weekend Warrior

2001 Raptor Rear Shock

Here's what you want. You don't need the lower linkage, just the shock. Get a 2001, as it has a remote reservoir. The later models have a fixed, and the airbox gets in the way of installation.

A note of warning. You may need to get the oil and gas recharged in the shock, depending on its condition. Mine worked fine as it was sold, but eventually all charged shocks need recharging. Figure $75 to $150 for a service when it is time.

Again, if you need any help, let me know. A lot of people have done this (check out exriders.com forum in the 300ex section), and no one has complained yet.

Or you can save your money and get the name brand. Either way, I'd be happy to give any useful advice I can.

Old 06-20-2007, 11:14 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

As far as the 400ex suspension goes, would it be cheaper just to get the 400? You also get an immediate power gain with the bigger engine, and the capabilities of getting more with mods.

If it were me, I'd stop putting money into the 300 that you won't get back when you do try to sell it.