Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

04' 300EX Starter Buzzing Sound w/weak battery

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 12:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04' 300EX Starter Buzzing Sound w/weak battery

Just bought this sweet 2004' 300EX that only has 20hrs on the quad. However the battery appears to be on the downside as it would not crank it over until we put a charge on it.

Question: When the battery on a 300EX does go, does the starter make a funny buzzing sound? I checked that the battery leads were tight and not corroded. I also put the battery on my auto charger (think it was too high @ 2H slow charge as the cell got hot and I removed it). Will the 300EX's make this funny sound if your battery is low? Lights still go on but dim when you try to start. Seems likely to me but need some personal experience.

I HOPE its not something like a starter or solinoid. Replace battery seem like a smart first step? In the manual it tells you to trickle charge the battery if you do not ride for more than 30days. Don't think the original owner did this on a regular basis. Is this typical for this quad?

Its my first quad of this type. Some advice would be helpful!
Thanks folks!!

Old 06-24-2007, 05:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, your battery is weak. Yes, you've burned up the battery trying to charge it with your car charger. You will have to replace the battery. Take the battery you have to an auto parts store or Wal-Mart and find one of same or higher ratings. Some come fully charged, some need charging before use. Make sure you know which type you are getting.

You will a motorcycle trickle charger/ battery maintainer to properly care for the battery. There are automatic models and there are manual ones. You want an automatic model. In charge mode, they cut off when the battery is fully charged. In maintenance mode, they monitor battery voltage and charge as needed to maintain a full charge. Great if you don't ride a lot.

Some here may post that you can pull start the quad and run it with battery you have, they are right; but I wouldn't. The battery you have is burned to a crisp. Once the quad is running the stator will try and charge the battery. Since the battery won't hold a charge, the stator runs constantly, which its not designed to do. It is designed to run the quad and replace the voltage the battery uses up to start the quad. In your case, you could burn out the stator. Which is which is way more money to replace than a battery.

Regards,

Hefty

Old 06-25-2007, 11:26 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Hefty! I charged it overnight with a trickle charger (400mA rating) for about 15hrs. The battery was rated for trickle charge at 900mA for 5~10hrs for complete charge. When I pulled it off and put it back in my quad she fired right up without any hesitation or buzzing sounds. Repeated over and over....no issues!

So my next thought was to find out if or how much I may have damaged the battery by using my automotic charger at a 2A rating (even though I only had it on there for 45min). I took it down to the local bike shop for a load test and it came up right on the edge. They also said it wasn't completely charged by my trickle charger and suggested we leave it on theirs overnight then they can retest. As it looks now it might be OK, but I will most likely take your advice and replace as well as get a smart charger so I don't overcharge.

I'm just happy its not something else like a starter relay or whatever. Nothing worse than buying a new toy and have it busted before you even get to play with it!!

Thanks!!
Sam

Old 06-26-2007, 07:44 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad thats all it was. Enjoy your new toy, always wear a helmet when you ride, (or load the quad on a truck. A fall from the bed to the ground or pavement can crack your skull open like an egg). Ride slow till you get used to it, and HAVE FUN!.