Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rubicon ripping

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 05:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubicon ripping

Hi, recently my 02 Rubicon started making a nasty ripping noise when turning hard left with power. Now it is every left turn and some right turns. I suspect it might be splined shaft from the gearbox to front diff. It sounds like it is coming from that area. Anyone experienced anything like this?

Old 06-26-2007, 02:28 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rubicon ripping

Did you recently have an axle boot replaced ?
Sounds like the snap ring inside the inner axle joint splines to the axle shaft popped off and the axle extended so the splines are stripping.

A few other things:
Low oil or bad oil pump causing hydralic cavitation sound
Rear bearing on the automatic transmission has debris in it
Front or rear wheel bearing is out
Tire rubbing on a fenderwell brace or inner fenderwell, stick caught in the wheels turning path

----- Gimpster -----

Old 06-26-2007, 07:18 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Rubicon ripping

Havent changed any boots lately but there is a small hole in the boot on the left side but no knocking like a failed coupling. When I can get hold of our local mechanic I will get him to chock that snap ring. It definately sounds like splines stripping.

Old 07-03-2007, 10:52 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Rubicon ripping

My usual bike mechanic is unavailable at the moment so I decided to get my hands dirty. I intended to remove the front shaft to the diff as I thought that would be the problem which would leave me with a 2wd bike until my guy is back however after removing the shaft the noise is exactly the same. How does it know I'm turning if the shaft is not connected? because this is still when it rips most. It sounds like the noise is from the front of the engine somewhere and definately sounds like splines or gears slipping. Any other suggestions? we had the clutch off a while back as the small chain that drives the hydraulic pump had come off. We replaced the chain and sprocket and there seemed to be no problem for a while afterwards. Could this be relevant? All opinions appreciated.