Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Proud new Foreman ES owner

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 06:31 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proud new Foreman ES owner

I'm the proud new owner of a new (leftover) 2006 Foreman ES. So, anything I should know about these beasts? Any special care & feeding they like?

Very soon mods will include winch and wheels and tires.... any recommendations?

Old 06-26-2007, 07:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only thing i have heard bad about on the Honda's with the ES system is problem's in the electical shift feature , something about the angle sencor going bad ; and or wiring harness, connector's getting wet causing the shift motor to malfunction , but the one's i've heard of having the most problem's were on the Rancher's with ES ! There may be some people having these problem's on other model's also ; but i know i saw a few post's on recall's on some of the ES Honda Rancher's but i don't recall the year or model No's ! Someone will see this that know more about it than me , but other than the ES model's i've not heard anything really bad about the Foreman's ! Oh almost forgot to mention my first ATV was a 86' Honda TRX 350 Foreman with fulltime 4wd , i rode that old 86' Foreman untill Nov. 2005 when i sold it to my brother for $2500.00 on credit , he paid me $50.00 dollars a week untill he payed me off in full ; i got three hundred dollars more than i payed for it ! Of course i did all the maintence work on it like clock work , put a new gas tank whitch cost $289.97 + tax , new tire's the tire's that came on it when it was new were cheap tire's with less than 1/2' in thread's and i had to put a new starter less than a 4 month's ! Starter cost was $179.98 + tax and a new battery a week later/my fauft on battery ( i over charged it when the starter was dragging ) New Battery cost $98.95 + tax ; and three week's before i sold the Honda to brother i put new brakes front and rear so my brother still got a good deal ; and he ride's it almost every day and it still run's and ride's as day one , only look's old and you know look's can be decieving ; i would rather have one that look's and run's and ride's like new ; than the other way round ! williebee

Old 06-26-2007, 10:58 PM
Trailblazer

Yeah, I had heard some people with problems with the ES, but it seemed like older models. I have two friends with Rancher ES's and they both said they have had no problems and they certainly don't stay out of the water or mud either. I was leaning toward the ES and rode both at the dealer and the ES was just so much nice to shift.

Old 06-26-2007, 11:10 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Break it in hard to seat the rings (already to late if you have been riding it easy!): <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
">http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
</a>

Do a very early oil/oil filter change to get the metal shavings out of the engine early on. Use petroleum oil during break in (Honda GN4), then you can switch to synthetic later if you wish.

Change out the oil in the front diff and rear final drive...for the same reason.

Don't neglect the first valve adjustment at 20 hours!

Old 06-27-2007, 09:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

i think you will love the foreman , ive had one since 2002 and have never had a prob w/ the elec. shifting , and it has seen mud and water to the tank many times , and has been sunk once , all i can say is they are tuff . my wife now owns it , since i went to TN last monday and picked up a 07 rubicon , and i hope its as good as the foreman ! have fun , i believe you will love it , oh and by the way i ran 27 inch gbc dirt devils on billet alum. wheels , lift kit , wheel spacers , supertrapp muffler w/dynojet and NOTHING left me behind , in fact i usually ran lead in our pack . have fun

Old 06-27-2007, 09:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

by the way , if your gonna play in the mud and water , di-electric grease is your friend , if nothing else at least fill your plug cap with it .

Old 06-27-2007, 10:31 AM
Trailblazer

baron, what kind of lift and where did you get it? Why the wheel spacers? I'd love for mine to look like this soon: http://i3.ebayimg.com/05/i/000/a5/1b/61f9_1.JPG

Oh, discovered di-electric on the Scrammy, the reverse safety switch used to get wet and activate even when it wasnt' in reverse!

Old 06-28-2007, 12:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

hi , the lift i run is 1-1/2 inch from high lifter , the reason for the wheel spacers , also 1-1/2 inch is they allow you to put tread ( grip) to the outside of the standard ruts that compose a trail , believe me when i tell you - they make a big difference , also they will give you stability to compensate for the lift from bigger tires and a lift kit if you choose . later tater

Old 06-28-2007, 12:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

hey mojeep , when you choose a tire , choose one that gives a smooth ride on hardpack , i ran outlaws and they are bad to the bone in mud but not all of us ride in the mud all the time , i sold them and now run gbc dirt devils , very good in the mud backwards or forwards yet still smooth on the hard trails , there are a few good long wearing tires out on the market now , be choosy !

Old 06-28-2007, 12:39 AM
Weekend Warrior

dogone it ! one more thing ....heavy mud will knock you out of gear with a foot shift , or possibly cause your foot to do it , thats what got me started on electric shift , may stir up a rats nest with that comment and thats okay . and before anyone asks , i run a k&n filter with outerwears - flows more air for pipe and jetting , BUT.... i think a foam filter is better in mud and water .

Quick Reply: Proud new Foreman ES owner