Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

rincon 680 engine noise. tick, rattle? lives in service shop.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 06:02 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm wondering about a tweeked rod.

If the engine has ever been hydrolocked, a very slightly twisted or bent rod can make all sorts of noise.

Old 10-11-2009, 10:18 AM
Weekend Warrior

like i told on the previous reply,,i ve change the crankshaft with a new one and the noise was still there ,,the second unit with noise is brand new from the crate and had the noise too
i m open to all possibility ,ll take in consideration all answer

Old 10-29-2009, 04:52 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default ticking

Originally Posted by SLG
new here, and just bought a 07 rincon 3 weeks ago, and its been in 2 honda dealers for the last 2 weeks trying to find out why it has a loud ticking while its in gear sitting still. 1st dealership adjusted valves, charged me $200.00 and then gave my money back when it still ticked after i picked it up. took it to a" larger dealer" where they adjusted valves, changed oil, and called me to let me know its still ticking loud. there not sure what it is, but are going thru procedures with honda before tearing the thing apart. guess what? im not too happy! the rincon runs fine, but the ticking seems abnormal. it does it after it warms up and only at idle in gear. rev and forward. its coming from top of engine somewhere. ANYONE HAVE THIS ISSUE? any info i can relay back to my dealer may help. until ???? i bought a rincon to sit at service. by the way, its under warranty. wished i had my money back.
Hi Mike here I have a 2008 had it one year now but any ways the tik tik tik tik u here all the time is normal they all do that as far as i know but i do have my own problem and its a clanking next to the valves only when it is coold and at low idel wich i think it just needs a valve ajustment and I was wondering if any one has done one they cant be hard I dont wont to bring it in and get raped when i can do it my self.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:02 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

If you are going to keep the quad a while and do your own work, get a factory service manual. Loose valves generally don't make a clank, though.

Old 10-30-2009, 11:30 AM
Weekend Warrior

hey mike here sorry about telling you that they make noise. i just did a valve adjustment mine and now its quit, I thought it was normal for the ticking cuz mine did it from day one when I bout it. Any ways turns out when you adjust them you must have 1 oz of drag on the feeler gage these dam honda dealers are setting them to light. I just learned that they have a problem with the timing chain tensioner and cam shaft that's why mine knocks when its cold off and on and I only got 300 hrs. on it. Will I hope this answers you question

Old 10-30-2009, 12:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by JeffinTD
If you are going to keep the quad a while and do your own work, get a factory service manual. Loose valves generally don't make a clank, though.

Ya found the problem its the timing chain tenchaner they Benn having problems with that and the camshaft coming apart.

Old 09-05-2010, 07:22 AM
Trailblazer

Had a dealership tell me it was the clutch kickin in. any thoughts? Also, where is the location of the timing chain tensioner?

Old 09-05-2010, 06:07 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I think the clutch thing is probably bunk.

If it started when you adjusted the valves, I wonder if you could have had the cylinder TDC between exhaust and intake, instead of between compression and power, and thus got way too much clearance?

Cam chain tensioner is also a possibility. Located on the cylinder.

Old 09-06-2010, 11:30 AM
Trailblazer

The noise was before valve adjustment. Is it a simple job to replace the tensioner, or should I have a shop do it?

Old 09-06-2010, 06:01 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Looks pretty simple. Snagging a factory service manual would be a good investment.

Quick Reply: rincon 680 engine noise. tick, rattle? lives in service shop.