Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rubicon Thumps SP 500HO in Shootout !!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2000, 09:19 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked up the Febuary edition of 4-Wheel ATV Action today and it said quote "the former champ has fallen,the Sp 500 has finally been beaten" The Rubicon outpulled both the Griz and the SP500 in a real world 800 lb dead weight sled pull.It said that the Ruby put the most grunt to the ground and the power delivery was instant compared to the slow to react antiquated belt drive systems of the others.Not suprisingly,the Polaris was the only Quad to break down.What gets me is when Polaris does so good at sled pulls when the weight transfers to the front.It did not do so well in "Real World" dead weight pulling.How often does the weight transfer or become heavier when moving forward in real wold pulling situations.Congratulations to Honda !!!

Old 12-29-2000, 10:58 PM
Pro Rider

I can't wait to read the article. I can hear the Polaris owners make all kind of excuses now. They will rag aboutthe magazines being unfair or biased.

A few weeks ago several Polaris owners would make reference after reference to the NY pull. Now there is another pull & Honda won. Good job.

Your right about pulling a weight, never had one move to the front on me like those sleds do.........

Good job Honda.

Old 12-29-2000, 11:25 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dead weight pull?Very interesting!In all 43yrs of my life and all the truck/tractor pulls I've ever been to allways had the sled type where the weight transfers to the front the more you progress.Im wondering why they changed?Did they offer the other sled type pull-off also?If so,how did the big bore ATVs do than?

My hat is off to the Ruby,great job,
Bill

Old 12-30-2000, 01:55 AM
Trailblazer

I'll have to read the article, but is dead weight pull the only atv performance category they rated in the 'shootout'?

Old 12-30-2000, 12:49 PM
Pro Rider

Read this http://www.atvconnection.com/atvconn.../nyatvpull.cfm
No way a 3wd Honda would have a chance.

Old 12-30-2000, 01:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

The accolades begin now! The bickering continues!!! I know its a great bike and it would take time for it to be proven, just like anything else that's new. However, pulling contests and mud bogs will always be decided by so many unique variables, I think its anybody game on any given day. Just my opinion.

WAY TO GO HONDA!

'01 Rubicon (green)

Old 12-30-2000, 02:30 PM
Pro Rider

Well, unlike some people it seems, I take what the ragazines say with a grain of salt.
Dirtwheels mag still took the SP500 over the Ruby in thier shootout, and ATV Action took the Ruby over the SP500 in theirs.
So who is right? Neither of them. Unless all you want to do is sit around are brag about crap. It comes down to what you want, not what the mags say. Both are great machines.

Old 12-30-2000, 03:51 PM
Range Rover

Did you see that chubby fatbody on that Warrior, in that link? Holy cripes, he probably weighed more than his quad! They should have put his bubble butt on that trailer!

Old 12-30-2000, 09:30 PM
Pro Rider

Are we having a hard time admitting the Rubicon won something with its 3wd as you guys call it?

Hmmmmm.............

Old 12-30-2000, 10:16 PM
Pro Rider

That's funny, both 4 wheel atv action, and dirtwheels are owned by the same company, yet, in October dirtwheels had a shootout between the Ruby, and the Sportsman. Here's how they summed it all up:

If you want the fastest, most powerful, and best suspended four wheeler, the vote goes to the Sportsman 500. It topped just about every category we tested it in, and at the end of the day no one felt beat or tired from riding it. It not only is fun and fast on the trails, but has also proven itself to be the king of towing and hauling.

There's more: During some unscientific towing maneuvers, we surmised that the Sportsman is also the king of hauling as it pulled heavy loads with the least amount of strain.

On jumping: Once again, the Sportsman is king, landing the smoothest with no hint of bottoming or bouncing.

I don't own either quad, I'm sure both are nice. Just goes to show you that the mags are idiots, and pretty much cater to wuat people want to hear. Honda is #1 in sales, Polaris #2, so they gave each a win. I wonder what they expect guys like me, that get both mags, to think.

Quick Reply: Rubicon Thumps SP 500HO in Shootout !!!