Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

is the K&N air filter bad for the rubicon

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 11:56 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default is the K&N air filter bad for the rubicon

i was told by a dealer that i K&N will give me more air flow and help my bike run when at high altitudes. what do you guys think?????

Old 07-10-2007, 12:25 PM
TIC
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have had the k&n on my rubicon for 4 years with out no issues. I also run an outerwear sleeve. Proper jetting for the altitude you run is what makes your atv run good. When you put on the k&n you will add a jet kit probally a stage one..
They will ask you where you live and will help you with the selection of jet size.

I did increase my low end power and may have lost on top end.. do a search on rubicon and k&n and enjoy reading.

once again proper jetting is what you should be looking up for high altitude, not a new air filter.

Now if the 06 rubicons are fuel in ject... then I have no idea and cant help you a bit.. mine is a carb

Old 07-10-2007, 02:17 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

I ran K&N's on everything for one season. Every time I would change the filter I would wipe the intake boot out with a white rag...and every time there was a film of fine dust on it. These do pass dirt, plain and simple. If performance is more important to you than engine longevity, then go ahead.

Old 07-10-2007, 08:50 PM
Range Rover

no it is not the performance, i was just trying to figure a way for my rubicon to stop stalling at high elevations. i live in a area that is very up and down, a common ride will take you 3000 feet up or down, so if i jet for the high elevation than i can not go to the beach or the coast. i do not want to take the carberator out every time i go somewhere to rejet. my dealer told me that a K&N would make it run better in the high elevation without rejetting. so i am trying to decide what to do.

and to TIC the rubicons are still carburated, no fuel injection

Old 07-10-2007, 10:23 PM
Pro Rider

I am with you reconranger!

If you look in the Honda service manual you will see that the main jet is the only thing you change to go over I belive it's 8000ft.

So no a K&N air filter won't cure your problem. What year do you have? I have ran into some 05 ruby's that came from the factury with tight valves causeing poor running problems.

I think that we need to look more into your problem.

I myself am running a Twin Air air filter and have no problems or dirt in my intake.

K&N's are for those who race in my book. My 2 cents

Old 07-10-2007, 10:32 PM
Range Rover

06 rubicon, the manual says that i should rejet over 6500 feet. what would you recommend then if it was your bike.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:49 PM
Pro Rider

So you go up to as far as 6000ft? Got to rember that only time your on the main jet is if your wide open throttle.

Have you hade your valves inspected yet? How long does your machine sit for when you are between rides?

Old 07-10-2007, 11:40 PM
Range Rover

it is brand new. i have had it for 2 months, i have 100 miles on it and 9 hours, have not had the oil change break in service yet.

Old 07-11-2007, 12:59 AM
Pro Rider

Well the book says 100 miles or 20 hours I think I would go and put on another 50 miles or 5 hours then get the service done. Either way it shouldn't die on you no matter what elevation your at.

Old 07-11-2007, 01:07 AM
Range Rover

ya the dealer said that i should bring it in after about 35 hours. it is starting tobackifire when i fully open the throttle and let off, so i am going to have that looked at to

Quick Reply: is the K&N air filter bad for the rubicon