Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

gear slipping on hills

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 02:20 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default gear slipping on hills

I know this sounds dumb, but does your unit have enough oil in it ?
I've had a rash of Rubicons come in lately with the same complaint. Low on oil enough to feed the oil pump when on a flat surface, and starving the pump when on an incline causing the oil pump to cavitate ( air in the hydralic drive pump ) and make the sound you describe.
Just a thought

----- Gimp -----

Old 07-13-2007, 07:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually not a bad idea this is a new problem so i am just starting the troubleshooting ill check the oil, and yes sounds just like a very loud ratchet. As far as the detents whats the fix for this issue?

Old 07-13-2007, 09:29 PM
Pro Rider

then you will have to replace the tranny unit

----- Gimp -----

Old 07-13-2007, 10:53 PM
Trailblazer

what viscosity oil are u running in it, honda recommends 10-40 oil in the rubicon and if you have low oil pressure and it turns out to be the oil pump, u have to split the cases and it's a big job. i just did my honda certification video on this topic actually this week at school. if it's a tranny problem, then u have to replace the entire transmission

Old 07-14-2007, 07:55 AM
Pro Rider

It is a hydrostatic pump ..There are 9 pistons on the engine side and 7 pistons on the output side .. We've changed a couple of dozen since 2001 , we change most of the time as an set (both transmission & oil pump) if the oil pressure is low ... The Rubicon uses an oil tank and it's a dry sump engine so unless it's down a couple of liters it's probably not what's wrong ..

Before you drive it anymore you'd better get the oil pressure tested ...

Old 07-14-2007, 12:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

well i just checked the oil and i cant believe it but it is only half full.(half way up the dipstick)

Old 07-14-2007, 04:03 PM
Pro Rider

Just to make sure it is the correct level, start the unit and let it idle for a few minutes. Then turn it off and let it set for a minute. Check the oil at this time and the level should be correct.
The units I have found to be low have not been showing oil on the dipstick when checked properly ( the way I described above )

I never thought, I have a Ruby motor apart on one of my my benches at work now. I could have taken pictures to show what a job it is to change the tranny unit and oil pump out.

As other Honda techs, I have done a number of these also. With clean-up and re ring, it takes me 7.5 hrs. I have seen new techs take up to 14 hours to accomplish the same proceedure on their first one.

----- Gimpster -----

Old 07-14-2007, 04:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 2001 rubicon and I am trying to figure out what is bad on the bike. I have taken it to a couple of shops and they say its the tranny. I have already spent over a thousand dollars for them to trouble shoot the problem with no success. Can you help?

Old 07-14-2007, 04:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

I guess what I am asking is what is best way to fix this problem. Are there any tricks to try or what is the cheapest way to get it fixed? I also have a 2006 500 foreman so I dont neccessarily have to have the rubi fixed immediately but I dont want to spend another two grand on that 2001.

Old 07-14-2007, 07:23 PM
Pro Rider

Need more specific info on what it is doing

----- Gregg -----

Quick Reply: gear slipping on hills