Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

TCS SCS shocks or PEP Limited Mass?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2001, 11:29 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not necessarily.... I believe you will find that Custom Axis is a significantly better shock than TCS or PEP.

Many of your Pro level racer use PEP because he is at the races and provides support at their events.

Sometimes there are factors that are not readily apparent when looking at what the pro's use. Don't always base your buying decision on what you see them using.

Old 01-02-2001, 03:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

but TCS are still a really great shock. right? i am going to order them today. so anymore feedback would be helpful. A.S.A.P. PLEASE!

Old 01-02-2001, 03:18 PM
Pro Rider

Yes, I'm sure you will be happy...

The only thing I would trade mine for is a set of Custom Axis.

Just be sure to be honest when they ask you your skill level and what you really want. Be clear.

Old 01-02-2001, 06:16 PM
Trailblazer

True about Wayne being at the Nationals. He is one of the few that offers help at the National level. He doesn't just help the PRO level, he helps all. Hmmmm.....wonder why he goes to support the races? Maybe he does make the better shock. Who knows? To each their own. PEP did come out with the ZPS first. TCS saw that the system worked, and basicallly copied it. Without a doubt, if you'll look back at all the champions, from the PRO level, to the "C" class level, youll see that all the #1 riders use PEP. As far as TCS, or Custom Axis is concerned, I'm sure they make good shocks too. Anything beats stock. It's just a decision that you will have to make on your own. You can't go wrong with an aftermarket shock.

Old 01-02-2001, 09:48 PM
Pro Rider

The thing I don't like about the PEP is that they still use the basic Works piston and ball setup where TCS uses shim stacks (which is the same design every modern motocross/supercross bike there is uses).

Have a look at Custom Axis sometime and you'll know what they're about... A whole different league, custom built from the ground up, not just a warmed over Works shock. Axis and TCS don't have many past champions because they haven't been building ATV shocks as long as some of the others, but that doesn't make them any less good. There's also lots of loyalty there, with PEP.

Both TCS and PEP are basically finely tuned Works - the TCS has the advantage of a better valving system, PEP has the advantage of being on site if you are riding the Nationals.

When dealing with top tier, custom built shocks, they're all good, you just need to decide which has the features/advantages that suit you, your budget, & your time frame. You can win or lose races on any of these 3 brands.

It's great that PEP/Wayne supports the National events. If I had the time to travel around to the Nationals, I'd probably support him too. But this support of the Nationals also causes the rest of us to be somewhat neglected in that there is an un-godly wait for his shocks. On my last TCS order, I sent my shock off on Monday, I had it in my hands that Friday & raced that Saturday & Sunday.

Again, I'm not trying to say PEP are bad shocks, I'm just saying there's more to National riders using PEP than face value might indicate.

Old 01-02-2001, 11:50 PM
Trailblazer

mxquadracing,
this years GNC champion Travis Spader, GNCC champion Bill Ballance, and GNC mx champion Jeremiah Jones all used custom axis shocks.

Old 01-03-2001, 12:14 AM
Weekend Warrior

well thanks a lot guys. i ordered some tcs fronts today from nac's racing. the wait for them is 6-8 weeks. evidently TCS are getting more popular everyday. i basically had them set up for a mx/trail combo. i think i'll be happy. another thing. doesn't TCS offer a set-up satisfaction guarantee? within 30 days of the delivery, if they do not perform to your expectations, they will re-valved them free of charge? well do you all think that their guarantee would include me since i bought them from nac's instead of directly from the factory? thanks again.

Old 01-03-2001, 12:42 AM
Pro Rider

Yes and Yes.

Old 01-03-2001, 01:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

thanks everyone. i appreciate your help. now i can't wait for the shocks to come in so i can mount them up and take my quad for a spin.

also, how hard is it to mount the reservoirs? what kind of tools will i need? thanks again.

Old 01-03-2001, 10:26 AM
Pro Rider

DO NOT expect the world on your first ride with the new shocks. It took me 6-7 trips too the track to get my Custom AXIS dialed in. Take some time too play with the settings, and the rewards will far out-weight the time spent on suspension setup.

Mounting rezzy's is very simple. Only a flat-head screw-driver is needed too tighten down the pipe clamps. Congrates on your new purchase.....

Quick Reply: TCS SCS shocks or PEP Limited Mass?