Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Who sells a belly skid plate for a Rubicon?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2001, 11:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got a red Rubicon on Friday and I was wondering who makes a chassis skid plate for it. Also does anyone know what are the largest tires that will fit without fender/suspension mods? Does anyone have a winch mount kit avail. for a Ruby? Thanks in advance for your help with my questions. Please feel free to advise on any other mods you have made or would recc. for a Ruby.

Old 01-02-2001, 10:04 AM
Pro Rider

Lots of questions to answer!

Skid Plate: High Lifter is supposed to release theirs within 45 days. I just got an email from them.

Largest Tires: I have 27 inch bugs on offset steels. I had to trim a little off the rear fender. I also bought High Lifters Fender Kit. You dont have to, but they will rub the fender support if you dont.

Winch Mount: Warn themsleves now make a winch mount for the Rubicon.

Other Mods: Take a look at my signature and my website,

Advice: First thing to do with a new Rubicon is take the slack out of the throttle cable. This helps out a ton. They come with the maximum ammount of slack available. There are instructions in the owners manual, and posted on here if you search for them. The Rubicon runs rich from the factory. Getting more air to it helps a lot. I acheived this with a snorkel.

Old 01-02-2001, 11:43 AM
Pro Rider

Take the slack out helps what?why do they leave so much slack?Should be receiving mine very soon are there other tips you could pass on from experience,I do plan on putting dielectric grease on all my electrical connetcions!THANKS

Old 01-02-2001, 01:11 PM
Pro Rider

Taking the slack out the the throttle cable improves throttle response. When I first picked my Rubicon up, I was not happy with its response in fact I was quite ticked off that a 500 had such little power. After some poking around I found out that it had slack in the throttle cable. It comes from the factory set up like this. I have not seen a Honda in any dealer around here that has the slack taken out. As far as other tips.....hmm. Some people have experienced the shift **** coming loose, so put some thread lock on those small phillips screws to prevent this. I have not had this happen, but I figured it wouldnt hurt to apply this. The Rubicon stock air intake is in a terrible place if you ride in water. A snorkel is highly recomended along with moving the vent lines. See my site for detailed instrcutions and pictures of this. Changing the oil is somewhat of a pain. There are 2 drain plugs and the oil filter which is under the ATV. You have to remove the skid plates to change it. Not sure what else to say but have fun. You should enjoy your new Rubicon, because I know I have.

Old 01-02-2001, 09:44 PM
Range Rover

I am running 27" Bugs on stock rims at 6PSI. Have not experienced any rubbing yet. Also had a fellow I know make me a front bumper like the super bumper M.U.D. makes. Did a wonderful job. He is also making me a full skid plate. We have discussed replacing the motor plate with a new plate. He is using 1/4" aluminum plating. However, Highlifter does make quality products.

Old 01-02-2001, 10:36 PM
Pro Rider

I'm not sure how your bugs arent rubbing. They should rub with the wheels turned all the way and the suspension compresses. Do you have any pics of your Rubicon and the accessories?

Old 01-02-2001, 11:44 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the response!

Old 01-03-2001, 12:36 AM
Range Rover

I will be glad to send you pictures when everything is installed. Hopefully in about two weeks. What is the best way to get in touch with you other than the forum?

Old 01-03-2001, 10:13 AM
Pro Rider

I would love to see some pics. You can reach me here or on the High Lifter forums. Or you can email me at texmudder@ansley.net.

Old 01-03-2001, 10:36 AM
Pro Rider

Cycle Country has the winch mount for the Warn 2000. My dealer ordered mine, and although it took a while to get in, I did finally get it. Well made, works perfectly, tucks the winch within the frame so it doesn't affect your angle of departure (like other bike's winch mounts), and even included a roller fairlead.