Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Question on oil change intervals

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 10:46 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on oil change intervals

I just had the dealer complete the 20 hour/100 mile service for my 07 Rancher 420 ES. I left confused about when to do my next oil change, the service manager stated it should be in 20-30 hours, putting my time clock at around 35-45 hours, no idea where the odometer will be at that point (it only took 15.5 hours to get to 110 miles and the first service). The manual doesn't say anything about service again until 100 hours.

My question is- How often should I change the oil now that the break-in and first service are done? I don't want to destroy the engine going too long between oil changes, but also don't want to waste money when an oil change isn't really needed.

Thanks!

Old 08-09-2007, 11:09 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is one of those areas where it is better to err on the side of changing it to often than not often enough! Protect your substantial investment.....oil is a lot cheaper than an engine rebuild.

First off, Honda has a vested interest in presenting its vehicles as being "low maintenance". Those maintenance intervals in the owner's manual are based on ideal conditions....that don't actually exist in the real world. So, 100 hours between oil changes is way, way to long!

I would say that your dealer is about right for this machine....20-30 hours is reasonable for most riders. My personal interval is more like 10-20 hours for my Ranches, but I ride in very dusty conditions.

A good oil read: http://www.thumperfaq.com/oil.htm

Note that some engines like the new crop of 450's, tolerate a lot of compression blow by because of their little slipper pistons. With these engines, fuel rapidly contaminates the oil, so they need very very frequent oil changes. The Rancher has more of a traditional skirted piston, so this isn't as crucial.

http://www.belray.com/scripts/...41d7-b921-64a4cf6d0144

Old 08-09-2007, 03:12 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Personally, I do the 600 mile or 100 hour thing after break-in, or a little sooner. For break in, though, I generally do the first two oil changes pretty early.

Honda does want to present their stuff as low maintenance, but they also value their reputation for longevity and reliability... so I suspect their testing has shown the schedule they publish as safe.

If you don't run the machine much, I would still do several oil changes a year, regardless of hours or miles.

Anyway, if you are worried about it you could always send a sample of your used oil in to blackstone or one of the other labs. IMHO that's the only real way to know how much your particular motor is contaminating the oil...

Old 08-10-2007, 07:54 PM
Trailblazer

yes i agree with the other riders for oil change times i sure i kind of over change it also but it is cheap security. one thing i did was email allied signal that is who makes fram oil filters and found the cross referance from the stock oil filter to the fram if you want to save a few dollars. on the oil filter

1 suszuki 4x4
1 recon
1 polaris

Old 08-11-2007, 03:17 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

I personally follow the 100 hour change schedule that is in the book. Like JeffinTD said, the only real way is to use a lab. They can tell you the real story on your oil. If I used an expensive synethetic that is what I would do.

Old 08-11-2007, 03:19 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

PS:
I would also be much more worried about air filter maintance than oil.

Old 08-11-2007, 11:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to go with what the service manager recommended and change about every 30 hours. I just wasn't sure whether or not to trust a dealer/service manager- they're not so much like a car dealer or service shop though.

I'm going to do the oil changes/air filter maintenance myself (he was actually really helpful with recommendations on air filter oils to use), just not sure about the valve clearance or the diffs yet.

Thanks again for all the replies!

Old 08-11-2007, 02:57 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The front diff and rear final drive are easy. Use an 80W90 GL5 hypoid gear oil. It doesn't take much. Just drain and refill....follow the owners manual.

As for valves, I'm not patient enough for that, so it's the one thing I have the dealer do.

Old 08-11-2007, 07:13 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I prefer to do my own valves, especially for what a dealer charges, and the hassle of getting the machine down there and back...

If you haven't done valves before, it would be handy to have an experienced buddy to look over your shoulder the first time. I also like to have a service manual for any machine I own...