Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rincon Oil/Coolant Light

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 05:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rincon Oil/Coolant Light

Hi All,

I really could use some help here. I have searched the forums here and other sites to find a solution to my problem.

I have a 2003 Rincon with about 600 miles on it. It starts and runs well and all systems seem to be functioning normally. I will run down the symptoms and things I have done.

Turn the ignition key on red light comes on for a few seconds and goes out.

Start the machine and either run it around or let it idle for 5-10 minutes depending on the workout, and the red light comes on.

The fan never comes on, but I removed the wire from the ECT sensor and grounded the connector to the frame and the fan will come on full blast.

I replaced the ECT sensor thinking it went bad, but the symptoms have not changed at all.

I understand that a bad rad cap, stuck thermostat, dirty radiator may cause the engine to overheat, but if any of these were the cause shouldn't the fan at least come on?

My last thought is that there may be air in the coolant system, but I am not sure how to go about getting it out besides running the motor.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated as I am pulling my hair out here.

Thanks!

Old 08-20-2007, 12:27 AM
Trailblazer

The fan only has one speed....full blast.
It doesn't sound like you have a heating problem, but more likely a computer problem. Where is the temp sender? I think it's in the hose by the radiator, but not sure. See if the hosees feel hot. Is the cooling system building pressure? If it isn't, that will cause it to over heat. I doubt if it's over heating in just a few minutes.

Old 08-20-2007, 01:10 AM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Mountana

The fan only has one speed....full blast.</end quote></div>

Thanks for the reply...

By saying "full blast" I meant to say the fan motor seemed to be strong and shouldn't be a problem.

I can't say it is overheating, I just can't figure why the fan won't come on when it seems like the fan motor is fine, there is a new fan switch (ECT sensor), and the light is coming on.

The ECT sensor is high on the engine in front of the carb.

The system seems to build pressure.

Old 08-20-2007, 08:36 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I wonder if the ECT sensor is on the radiator side of the thermostat? If so and the thermostat stuck closed I wonder if the motor would overheat but since coolant doesn't get circulated through the radator the fan wouldn't trip?

Otherwise, it looks like the coolant temp sensor goes to the ECM, and the ECM controlls the fan, so you might pull the battery cable and remove and celan the ECM connection and hit it with some dialectric grease... It might also be worth while to use an ohm meter to make sure the wiring is good from the ECM to the fan connector.

The last idea I had, doesn't the thing also have an oil temp sensor that turns on the same warning light? Is the oil level OK? (idle for a few minutes and let it sit for a couple minutes before checking).

Old 08-20-2007, 12:52 PM
Range Rover

Also, use a meter to see if it is closing the temp switch and that power is/isn't going to the fan.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:09 AM
Range Rover

What happens if you disconnect the ECT wire while the red light is on and the engine is running. If the red light stays on, you have a computer problem, if it goes out and the ECT sensor is within specs, it is still the computer. If the ECT sensor is out of specs then it would be the sensor.

Old 08-21-2007, 04:13 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>I can't say it is overheating</end quote></div>

I wonder if it would be worth testing the oil temp sensor?

That sensor is down by where the oil filler tube goes into the engine. The book says you should get 3.3 to 3.7 ohms at 77f, and if you put it in a pan of oil on a hot plate, you should get 95-112 ohms at 302f.

When you say the fan doesn't come on after 5-10 minutes of idling, though, makes me think that the problem is more likely something in the wiring from the ECU to the fan or something with the ECU.

If you don't get it straightened out here, you might also post at rinconriders.