Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

does anyone know

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 11:42 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default does anyone know

my cylinder had some scraps on it..do to a couple rings stuck on one side of the cylinder...i was going to have it bored out but had a friend look at it and he told me just to hone it out..
So i did and in about 1 to 2 minutes they where gone...Now can I still put a standered piston back in??..I took a new ring that I had and just put the ring inside of the cylinder and the split in the ring was about the thickness of a dime.Now is this fine??? The old ring was twice that if not more

Old 09-03-2007, 12:51 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default does anyone know

If you would like to keep it standard bore, the cylinder can be measured for out of roundness and taper to see if it is within spec for standard piston placement. Also miratic acid used to make sure no aluminum transfer from the piston to cylinder wall has occored. If it has happened a piston failure may happen again when installed into the cylinder. Honing can remove unwanted aluminum transfer as well as scores in the cylinder, but this leaves you back to getting the cylinder measured to see if it is within spec. If you install a new piston into an out of spec cylinder you will have piston slap, loss of power and premature wear leading to it failing again.

If you would like a little more from the ATV, order an oversized piston, take it and the cylinder to a machine shop and have it bored to match the piston.

-----gimpster-----

Old 09-03-2007, 12:55 AM
Trailblazer
Default does anyone know

can i resleav the cyclinder..was told the sleaves come out

Old 09-03-2007, 07:44 AM
Range Rover
Default does anyone know

if you put a new set of rings in it, and had the thickness of a dime end gap, thats too much. You dont mention what machine you have, but the old rule of thumb was
.003" to the inch of bore. That means if you have a three inch bore, you would need about .009" ring end gap.
For ATVs in the 300 to 500 range you will be looking at around .012" to .015" end gaps.
The thickness of a dime is too much, it will smoke some, and have poor performance.

Old 09-03-2007, 09:12 AM
Trailblazer
Default does anyone know

I have a 96 400 forman..i found a sleeve on ebay..how hard is it to put in

Old 09-04-2007, 08:48 AM
Range Rover
Default does anyone know

Unless you have your own machine shop, you cant just put it in. The cylinder has to be bored completely out, and a new sleeve pressed into place. Around where I live, there are no machine shops that do this kind of work, it has to be shipped somewhere, then theres the wait time. Its almost as cheap to replace the whole cylinder(almost).

With the situation that you have, it would probably be in your best interest to just have the cylinder bored, and install a new oversized piston and ring set.
If you want to stay with genuine Honda parts, Honda offers 4 oversize options for it, and if you want to go with wisco, I believe they offer 6 oversizes for it.

Old 09-04-2007, 07:18 PM
Trailblazer
Default does anyone know

is it possible to use liquid nitergen to freeze the sleeve to get it out

Old 09-04-2007, 07:42 PM
Range Rover
Default does anyone know

No, its not.

Why do you keep wanting to mess with a sleeve anyway, its much easier to just bore the existing sleeve. If you insist on having it resleeved send it to a company that does that, its not something the average mechanic can do.

Old 09-04-2007, 09:54 PM
Trailblazer
Default does anyone know

Sorry Range Rover..I just have a new standard piston thats all Thats why im looking toward the sleeve

Old 09-05-2007, 07:55 AM
Range Rover
Default does anyone know

cost wise you will still be better off to buy a new oversized piston, bore, enjoy.