Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rear end pop (2004 Rubicon)

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 12:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear end pop (2004 Rubicon)

When I put it in drive the rear end will pop (sounds like a screw dropping onto metal), when I put it in reverse and hit the gas somewhere below the back seat/rear rack it wil pop again. If I put it in low and them high it wil not pop. Only when I go from forward to reverse.

Anyone have this problem or any very possible ideas?

I have check that everything is tight and nothing broken.

Old 09-07-2007, 03:55 PM
Range Rover

backlash in everything from the tranny to the final drive... there is a little play here and there.. and it all adds up the the total backlash, and that where your click is coming from.

Old 09-07-2007, 06:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have jacked it up and it will not do it. Your explanation sounds reasonable for what I am hearing because mostly it sounds like it is between the rear drive and tranny, but the sound definately travels or so it seems to me.

It shifts in and out of each gear well and runs good too. It started after I had the valves adjusted at the dealer and asked them to adjust the tranny because it was hard to get in reverse. Is this a problem and what can I do to get it out?

Old 09-08-2007, 07:07 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like they didn't adjust your sub-transmission linkage right ... When it was hard to get into reverse do you mean the button/shift lever itself was hard to get to reverse or the sub-transmission was hard to get in reverse ..

What I'm saying is if it was hard going into reverse because of the lock-out button on the gearshift then the sub-transmission linkage shouldn't have been adjusted ..

Old 09-08-2007, 09:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hard to get into reverse maybe was not a correct statement. Pull the shifter hard/fast all the back and it would go into reverse. Slow pull it back and it was a 50/50 shot. After they adjusted the linkage below the shifter, it shifts great but no will pop somewhere under the seat when I first start out after shifting into reverse or forward.

The explanation of slop in the linkage shifting sounds about right. I thought that something was loose like a bolt to the frame or shock or something like that because it will not make the sound with all 4 tires off the ground. I shifted very fast from reverse to forward giving it gas and no sound. The bike has to be on the ground with resistance.

Can I re-adjust the linkage? If so, where do I start and are there standards like a carburetor air intake (adjust it closed and back out 2 - 3 full turns)? I did see the linkage when I installed my 242 the other day.

Thanks!

Old 09-08-2007, 10:37 AM
Pro Rider

Yes there is a starting point .. This is it ...

================================================== ============================================

Name:  500subadj.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  82.8 KB

Old 09-08-2007, 12:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Looks like tie rod A will be a breeze, but tie rod B goes into the shift lever box and what is the length that it goes into the box.

Tie rod A = 2.3 +- .02 inches
Tie rob B = 12.95 +- .02 (-?? how much does it go into the box)

THANKS!!

Old 09-10-2007, 12:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

HondaMechanic, can adjusting the travel stop the popping?

If so, how long is tie rod B from the housing. It looks like the 12.95" goes into the housing.

Thanks!

Old 09-10-2007, 05:06 PM
Pro Rider

PM me your email address and I will email you the sub-transmission section ...

Old 09-19-2007, 02:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok, I checked the adjustments and they seem to be very close and it shifts very well.

The only thing abnormal I have noticed and it sounds like it is coming from here is the pivot point where the rear end attaches to the frame. There is a HUGE hex bolt on the passenger side and a nut with outer teeth on it. There is about 1/4 inch clearance on both sides of where it bolts to the frame, which looks like to much for me.

Anyone know how much to tighten this and the clearance? I know it can't be too tight. I believe that is where the pop is coming from and could it be the bushings are wearing out and causing excessive play? Are there bushing in it?

Quick Reply: Rear end pop (2004 Rubicon)