Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rubicon won't idle when engine warm

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 09:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubicon won't idle when engine warm

I got the carb off and apart and have a few ?? Mad Rebel I hope your around or if there is anyone else around that could help, that would be great....Everything went well except I'm not a !00% sure about the orientation of the "needle jet" one end has a squared interior hole which I think goes toward the needle jet holder which holds the needle jet in the carb, the other end of the needle jet has a rounded or concaved hole in it which I think goes toward the air chamber...or goes into the carb first....have I got that right???? #2 ?? does anybody know the dimensions of the Oring that holds the seal on the throttle position sensor, It came apart in pieces, we have a bunch of Orings at work and I might be able to match one up, having the right dimensions would help, not sure if Honda would sell something like that. Other then that I found a bunch of crud in the carb and especially the slow jet so no wonder why it ran poorly
thanks for all your help so far and if you can answer some of these ?? thanks so much
Al

Old 09-30-2007, 10:04 PM
JRM
Pro Rider

good thing you found your issue, yes the pilot (slow) jet is the main problem with almost every carb that sits in storeage. I have a pair of vice grips permantly clamped to a wire birssle during the spring when my friends start calling me. Just be carefull with tiny engines like trimmers and chainsaw's as the slow jet is part of the carburator body and is not cleanable- thus a replacement carb is required when they gum up- I put a reminder in my outlook to start up all my toys n tools on new years day and let em run for a bit as thats halfway threw the storeage time and almost always stops any guming that is in process plus i use sta-bil fuel treatment

Old 09-30-2007, 10:25 PM
Trailblazer

Hey, I'll have to get my manual out tomorrow and see what your looking at on the needle jet. The O ring is surely metric size and I don't know if Honda sells it by itself. I'm sure it would probably be included in the carb rebuild kit they sell though. I'll get back to you tomorrow night, maybe someone else can jump in on this quicker for you.
Glad you found the problem.

Old 10-01-2007, 07:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

I found an Oring today at work that should fit, cleaned the parts, man that carb body looks good now!!
any and all help is greatly appreciated
thanks so far
Al

Old 10-01-2007, 08:31 PM
Trailblazer

I cant tell much by the picture in my manual, but I think your right, the squared end going toward the holder.

Old 10-04-2007, 12:30 AM
Weekend Warrior

I finally got it all together and opps, it won't start, doesn't seem to be getting gas in the bowl,when I loosen the bowl drain, nothing comes out, must have something together wrong, I'll have to take it apart again I guess, should be a whole lot easier the second time around....just wondering if the throttle position sensor might have to be reprogramed as well, i didn't take it off the bracket, but just wondering

Old 10-04-2007, 12:36 AM
Trailblazer

Hmmm, not familiar with that. Do you have a shop manual?

Old 10-04-2007, 07:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

yes i do, the gas thing, I'm thinking the float might be stuck up?????, I'll take the carb off and take to bottom part off after the weekend, the programing of the throttle position sensor, I have done that before, it's in the Clymer manual and that was pretty easy
I should have tried to start it before the air box went on....oh well

Old 10-10-2007, 11:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

got it going, left it due to a lack of time, went back to it tonight and just before pulling it all apart I thought I'd try the bowl drain screw and guess what, gas came out....wonder how that happened?? started up first crank, ran it around the block a few times, didn't get it real hot but it runs good, now will have to find a way to set the RPM, must be able to do that with a timing light I'm guessing , will have to try find one at work tomm
also promptly broke one of the bolts trying to get the spark arrestor screen out, drill and easy out tomm
thanks for all the help and info, greatly appreciated !!!!!!!
Al

Old 10-11-2007, 12:08 AM
Trailblazer

Glad you got it going!

Quick Reply: Rubicon won't idle when engine warm