Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rubicon won't idle when engine warm

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 12:57 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubicon won't idle when engine warm

I have an 02 Rubicon which I bought not too long ago. I love the quad and it runs great except it won't idle when the engine gets warm, It idles fine when the engine is cold, or on first start. Once it's warmed up, when I let go of the gas, when coming to a stop the engine dies, but restarts easlily . Getting going requires that I give it some(too much) gas to keep it running.
I see a similar post on this page that suggests its a clogged idle jet. I have the Clymer manual and taking the carb apart seems like alot of pieces, kinda scary! ,but if that's the fix I'll give it a go. Label everything and hope for the best...any confirmation that this is the best thing to try???
any help is greatly appreciated, thanks

Old 09-25-2007, 02:59 PM
Trailblazer

Yep, gummed-up gas in the slow speed jet. Take the carb apart, let it soak for a couple of hours in one of those cans of carb cleaner that has the parts basket inside, Advance Auto Parts sells it for around $12.00. Then blow it out with compressed air, re-assemble and you should be ready to go. Might also want to take a VERY small wire from a wire brush and push in the jet to make sure all of the obstruction is out.

Old 09-25-2007, 05:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]Yea man, i am having the exact same problem with mine.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey MadRebel, thanks for that, I'll try that asap
Al

Old 09-27-2007, 04:45 PM
TIC
Pro Rider

A few items to check that are easy.
1. the choke cable. In fact 01 and 02 models had a replacment cable. Be sure it goes all the way in the off position. This could be why it idles funny after it warms up. Mess with the choke buy pulling it up and down while its running. Try really hard to push it down in a fully seated position and see if this makes a differance.

2. Air filter. has got to be clean and not over oiled

3. spark arrestor in the back of the pipe. Pull it out and make sure it is not clogged.

4. new plug. even if it looks good, they lose a certain ammount of spark over time.

5. After this? Im at a loss. Hopefully with enough good ideas from the forum members your problem will be solved.

Old 09-28-2007, 08:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

hey thanks for that, I did clean the air filter, maybe I over oiled it, I will check that tomm, I put a new plug in, I'll check the choke as well, I know I can get it to idle longer but not better by pulling the choke out, runs rich then. I did buy a can of carb cleaner and am ready to pull the carb, take it apart and soak it...I was hoping to avoid doing that as it seems quite involved. thanks anyway,I'll post how it turned out

Old 09-28-2007, 09:06 PM
Trailblazer

It's not as hard as it sounds, just go slow, keep your manual close by, and you might even want to take some pic's with a digital camera.

Old 09-28-2007, 10:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

I haven't cleaned out the spark arrestor yet either, can that being plugged have that much affect??

Old 09-29-2007, 12:34 AM
Trailblazer

Don't know about that, me thinks it's the carb.

Old 09-29-2007, 02:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

you'll find me in the garage tommorrow

Quick Reply: Rubicon won't idle when engine warm