Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Bad head gasket

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 10:43 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad head gasket

I am looking into how to replace the head gaskets on a 440 kit rebuild.

I just purchased a used 1999 400EX from a friend with financial issues. The engine has been converted to a 440. It currently runs excellent and I got a great deal on the EX but I noticed that the upper head gasket was not sealed correctly along the center of the head on the right side. It hasn't affected the power at all but I can see fluid bubbling out past the gasket as the engine revs higher and the compression increases. It is not noticable when the engine is idling. I know it needs to be replaced and my experience is with 2 stroke engine's as I have a CR250 and Polaris Scrambler 400X. I have ordered the shop repair manual to get an understanding for what I will be getting myself into when I tear into the engine. I know that the manual doesn't fully explain the do's and dont's and inherant issues of replacing the head gasket. So I am looking for some guidance on how to proceed. I am extremely leary about the timing issue. So I want to research and study the process before I begin working on it after I return from Iraq next summer.

Also, are all Honda 440 gasket kits dimentionally the same? I typically use Wiseco rebuild kits and I am not sure which 440 kit was used.

My Soldiers call me CrazyBob!