Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

How important are Helmets for ATV riding

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2001, 04:59 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

Personally, when I got my Honda Rancher, I wasn't going so fast on my trails also, thinking that it's just too tough to go higher than like third gear. But as I got better, I would go faster and faster. Now, I can do almost the whole trail in fourth and fifth gear. I'm assuming that's what will happen to you. I don't do crazy things like jumps (on a utility ATV) or sharp turns at high speeds or things that are risky. I don't wear a helmet, and I have never flipped over. I am planning to get one, though, because they look cool as hell and they keep your head really warm in the Winter. I don't see how goggles help except for dirt or mud getting into your eyes, but that's not a big deal. When it's snowing and I want to drive my quad, I wear my ski goggles and that really helps for vision and because it hurts when snow gets in your eyes.

Old 01-07-2001, 05:05 PM
Trailblazer

I do not think that it is important. I would rather wear something to protect my back than my head. I would Rather be 6ft under than in a wheelchair.

Old 01-07-2001, 05:19 PM
Pro Rider

Because you're riding slowly you shouldn't wear a helmet??? You have already crashed and destroyed your thinking neurons!!!
Just a test you can do. Pick a tree, stand in front of it, like 5 feet away, and let yourself fall against the tree. Speed = 0, damage to you a lot, maybe death...come on, think a little!!! It's not when you can't walk and talk anymore because you smashed a rock or your ATV fell over you (even a 5mph) that you say "I should have worn a helmet"(I have met 1 guy like this, he missed 4 stairs -low speed- and now he can barely talk, can't move alone...I felt bad about him for months). Helmets are comfortable (especially the open ones), and not expensive....unless your physical and psychological integrity costs less than 80$.
Get a helmet!!!!

Old 01-07-2001, 05:26 PM
Pro Rider

Another thing, get a helmet that protects your face. Even if you ride slowly, let me show you why it doesn't matter. Twice it could have ended bad. First. We were riding a straight trail, and my pal passed me, just a bit faster than me (we were going like 30 mph -in moggles-), and 2 seconds later threw a rock 3" big towards me ( his rear wheels, not him) . I saw it, ready to yell "ouuuuch", and no, it did TAC, against the lower part of the helmet. When we stopped, I looked at my helmet....and I would have no mouth now if the helmet was still at the dealer. Not convinced? Second. We were ridng some twisty woods trail, very slow (5 mph...1st gear, just above idle), and branch that I hadn't seen, came right to my eye. I had mi goggles, and they almost got teared to the side. No goggles, half blind!
Still not convinced?

Old 01-07-2001, 05:31 PM
Pro Rider

There you go. Dennis Kirk catalog. page 12, 67.99$ open face helmet with flip up shield. Also page 13 39.99$, standard open face helmet. Add goggles to this (20$). 70$. Is your life worth it? Mine is.

Old 01-07-2001, 05:53 PM
Pro Rider

always wear a helmet!
i remember i had one of those lawnmower minibikes when i was a kid. i never wanted to wear my helmet. but i thank my dad for forcing me. one day i had it out and thought i would try to pop a wheelie over a ice hump,it couldnt of been over 5 mph on this thing. i remember hitting the ground so hard when i flipped over the back of it right on my head. i know for a fact if i didnt have it on i would have split my head open bad. i was around 6 or 7 at the time and still remember it like it was yesterday.

Old 01-07-2001, 07:54 PM
Range Rover

Though I do not care for the sarcastic responses by some, I appreciate the feedback nonetheless. As obvious as it may seem to many, the area I ride has virtually no riders with helmets. Furthermore, I am more amazed at the number of people here in Florida that do not wear motorcycle helmets. Since our laws changed here in Fl 6 mos ago, I never see motorcycle riders wearing them. I guess when you are going 65 down the road and crash, a helmet won't help.

Thanks for your comments, i will buy one.

Old 01-07-2001, 08:58 PM
Pro Rider

I race stock cars, and a couple of years ago I was reading an article about helmets in Circle Track Magazine. It stated that "if the brain were to hit a solid, blunt object, death would accur at less than 10mph in 99% of all accidents, using a helmet (depending on the model), increases the mph to above 30mph before death". Even that doesn't sound like a lot when you consider that many of the quads today double that speed right out of the box!
Here's another way to see it. Let's say you fell off of your bike and your head hit the road (not hitting hard enough to kill you) and your face was sliding on the road for 10 feet at 10mph (2nd gear is faster than that), that would be like putting your face on a "black top grinder"! Imagine the what your face would look like, and the plastic suergery you would go through to try to fix it, and you would still have scares that your clothes can't cover up. Now, try the same test with a full face helmet.
Broken bones will heal(except spine)and not be seen, but scares on your face and brain injuries will never be hidden. I would never ride in any gear with out one. Don't tell yourself the old saying "that won't happen to me!". If it can, it will, don't take the chance!

Old 01-07-2001, 09:14 PM
Pro Rider

Was that my rock or Max's?

Old 01-07-2001, 09:14 PM
Pro Rider

You might want to read this.
http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00056232.htm

Between '85 & '97 two thirds of all ATV related deaths in one state were head & neck injuries.
Buy a helmet or let the quad sit till you get one.

Quick Reply: How important are Helmets for ATV riding