Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

HELP! HELP! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 09:46 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! HELP! HELP!

So i bought this 2006 450r from a dealer who listed it on ebay. for 3900 i got front elka suspension, full cutis sparks exhaust, +2 a arms, dura blue axle. I thought it was a deal. after ridding it for a while i noticed it being unresponsive of the get go. It wants to cut out and then take off, and when deaccelerating it pops something fierce. Also a little hard starting so i thought maybe the valves where getting tight. So i take it to a shop to have it gone through. They tell me that they got the valves real close to where they need to be set but they think i need new valves and also my carb which they said needed a jet kit which they ordered was going to need replaced. He said sometimes this happens. It could be do to someone soaking it in carb cleaner and ruining a seal that you cant get to and replace. So my question is, Is there a seal that cant be replaced or is this shop totoaly shotguning me.

Old 11-09-2007, 10:19 AM
Pro Rider
Is addicted to 4 wheel'n!

Welcome to the forums. Man the thing about this is that you working with a dealer. They will over charge even if they are right about anything. To me it just sounds like you need to re-jet the carb. I wouldn't mess with anything else until you can see if it will be fixed by that. Check your boots where you carb seats up and make sure there not ripped or anything.

Old 11-09-2007, 10:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

thanks for the reply, and i will do just that. How about the jet kit. ive been told by more than one person that they are a waste of time and money.

Old 11-09-2007, 10:37 AM
Pro Rider
Is addicted to 4 wheel'n!

WHAT?!?!?! Anyone that says that has no idea what they are talking about. Well, maybe a they mean the kit. You MUST re-jet if you have an after market exhaust. The kits usually include a needle. On 450r's I don't think the needle is that important. If you run with your lid off I think its a 185-190 to start if it cuts out top end go down to 175-180. I THINK thats right. You can easily find recommendation if you search a little.

Anyway I would do that before you let them charge you for a new carb or to put in new valves. The jets are like 5 bucks a piece.

Old 11-09-2007, 10:49 AM
Weekend Warrior

i guess i should have been more clear. Without a doubt it needs to be rejetted. but this guy charged me around $60 for a jet kit. I guess it might be the whole kit that they are talking about not needing.

Old 11-09-2007, 10:56 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Deceleration back fire can indicate that it is lean. It bogs on the bottom as well, so I would suggest that it is lean on the bottom end. Check your idle jet. It may have been sitting for a while and gotten gummed up.

Old 11-09-2007, 11:14 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the kit being 60 bucks, when you count all the jets that are in it at 5 a piece is not a bad deal if you need to rejet often due to changes in altitude(or racing applications) But most people will ever need 2-3 jets is about it. I bought the dynojet kit due to it having instructions and the pilot and main jets, plus I planned on needing to rejet later when I did more mods.